1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do so many bloggers hate Plaschke?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 28, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No, I did not. I said Juan Pierre and Omar Moreno were overvalued. Then I said it's a crock that many saber people undervalue and sometimes vilify the Hall of Famer and one-time steals king Lou Brock. I'm not going to search out links, but the "boot Lou" argument has been made on this board.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://baseballevolution.com/keith/brockbad.html

http://baseballevolution.com/asher/brockmiddle.html

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Hmmm ...

Well, let me say I care even less about what Keith Glab at Baseball Evolution thinks than I do about Bill Plaschke.

4. Herbert Anchovy

But it's called Baseball Evolution!

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Pierre does a great job of stealing bases and distracting pitchers. Of course, he can't steal first and he's certainly no distraction in the batter's box. All of the things he's good at are predicated on him getting on base. And he simply doesn't do that nearly often enough to suck at everything else he sucks at.

6. dooley_womack1

As long as you succeed more than 50 percent of the time, you're taking an extra base more often than you lose one. That's not counting the times a runner steals second and third (granted, that is probably a statistically insignificant number). And most teams give a regular green light only to runners who succeed at least 70 percent of the time. And then there's the aforementioned distract the pitcher/move the defense around advantage.

7. Herbert Anchovy

I read something weeks ago that the Expos' Dave Palmer once threw over 18 consecutive times (without delivering) when Coleman was on first.

The sabrs can count something like this, but they don't know what the hell to do with it. It is a factor, needless to say.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Whitey ball died a long time ago, though. Stolen bases aren't en vogue and don't happen as often anymore.

The two records that will never ever be brokein in baseball are Cal's consecutive games streak, and Ricky Henderson's stolen base record.

Pierre could be the fucking Roadrunner, but he doesn't get on base often enough to use it. And that's the point. If you can't get on base it negates the advantage of any speed you have, so you better bring something else to the table. Pierre doesn't. At least some guys can hit for power or play outstanding defense too.

9. I once found a story from the '20s in "Baseball Magazine" about how stolen bases were out of vogue. It's all cyclical.

10. Herbert Anchovy

People loved those ballclubs, they still talk about them. Put asses in the seats.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And they were, for about four decades.

After Wills and Brock, they went out of vogue again in the 1970s, came back in the 1980s, and went back out in the 1990s.

12. dooley_womack1

And with the PED era seemingly over, the steal could very well be more prominent again.

Draft saved Draft deleted