1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do so many bloggers hate Plaschke?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Scroll down to March 21:

http://www.firejoemorgan.com/2008_03_01_archive.html

This is but the latest. It seems I see a lot of them that make fun of his writing style, etc.

Is he big into being an anti-sabermetric curmudgeon? Kind of the anti-Posnaksi?

Or is it really his cadence that sets people off?

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think he wrote several columns ripping the old Dodgers G.M., the Beane protege, which probably didn't endear him.

3. Right, I remember he used to call him "Laptop Boy."

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That was a pretty bad column, and I like Plaschke.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

They don't much care for Furman (or Furry-man) Bisher.
    Plaschke is generally a good read. I don't think that this was his strongest effort and light years behind that column he did a few years back on the Dodgers BLOGger in Texas, who had muscular dystrophy and tapped out her posts with a mouth pointer since she couldn't use her hands.
    That was a spectacular piece of work.
    As to why some bloggers don't like him, Plaschke has what they want. Six (maybe seven) figure salary, book deals, national TV and a large following.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I have to admit: I like Plaschke, too. And I thought the blog post was pretty entertaining.

7. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

On a baseball/saber site that I visit regularly, Plaschke is probably the most despised writer among the MSM. That is saying quite a bit since saber-types don't like any regular beat writers or columnists other than JoePo. I got into a losing battle on the board once defending Plaschke; there was not a single member who was willing to concede that he has an ounce of writing talent. In fact, most of them didn't believe I was being serious when I talked about what a good and respected columnist he is.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Shocking that Poin hasn't chimed in on this thread.

9. One thing I don't get is how they always gripe about one-sentence paragraphs. I mean, a column is supposed to be a quick, pain-free read. If Plaschke or any other newspaper columnist wanted to write magazine-style, I'm sure he would have no problem with it.

10. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

No one respects the media and everyone thinks he/she can write, especially bloggers.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/newsstand/discussion/la_times11/

12. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Yeah, that's the site.

Draft saved Draft deleted