1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people dislike Barry Bonds? A Rick Reilly/Jeff Kent conspiracy!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 9, 2009.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Dude, you just jumped on the thread to attack me in a silly and inept manner. I don't feel any need to convince you of anything. I had already responded to the thread (about Skip Bayless' Q&A, by the way) in an informed and thoughtful way before you arrived.\

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Your pillow talk with Barry already enlightened you enough?

3. Allegedly

Allegedly Guest

Generalization. Completely devoid of specifics. Means nothing.

What was that about attacking others in a silly and inept manner? Glass houses, stones, etc.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I realize you guys don't like that I agree almost 100 percent with Skip Bayless on the topic but why don't you try convincing me or other posters why I shouldn't agree or, better, why you think Skip is wrong? This thread isn't about me.

And, by the way, "I read Pearlman's book and he says ..." just doesn't get the job done. Maybe it will help you get back on topic if you actually go read the Bayless interview.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Translation: Uninformed opinions are those that cranberry disagrees with.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your excuse-making for Bonds, either.

No question Reilly had the power to influence public opinion, but Bonds already had a lousy reputation long before he played with Kent, which shoots a large hole in Bayless's theory.

I don't dispute that Bonds had reasons for some of his behavior. I certianly don't think he is evil. But to suggest his reputation as a jerk is just something Kent and Reilly made up? That is just ridiculous.

6. Allegedly

Allegedly Guest

Why would I waste my time? I could post a picture of Bonds doing rails off Michelle Obama while slapping a nun and it wouldn't change your mind. Your opinion is inflexible.

Yet, you made it about you with your first post:

How do you know whose opinion is informed and whose isn't? The posts prior to yours were no more or less specific. Can you just give us a list of the names whose opinions you would consider informed? That way, maybe we can track them down and get them to post on this thread.

Also, I read the Bayless transcript. I read it yesterday when I first saw it.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He's warming up ... [​IMG]

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Wow.

And all this time I was thinking that the main reason people didn't like Bonds was that he was a successful black man.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you took the Giants players who played with Kent and Bonds, I would guess that if both players were on fire and the teammates had to piss on one to save their lives, they would choose Bonds. That's saying something.

Bonds would usually keep to himself. Kent would instigate things.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Can't they both be cocksuckers? Who cares who was worse. I don't care how Bonds treated the media, it's the way he treated other people that makes him an asshole.

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Good point, J.C. When I asked Rodney King about Bonds vs. Kent, that was exactly what he said!

I can't believe we're two pages into this and nobody has mentioned the following Baylessian syntax:
    "Jeff Kent gave you insight, he gave you humor, he gave you quotes for which you could build your game stories."

Quotes for which you could build your game stories? What is Bayless' native tongue, and who handles his translations? Jesus.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just went back and read more of the interview with Bayless. I don't think the excerpt posted at the start of this thread properly demonstrates just how much Bayless slobbered over Bonds and just how lacking in credibiliy he is when he makes his argument about Kent and Reilly.

Access is great, but it is absolutely meaningless without objectivity and credibility. At least one poster on this thread would do well to learn that lesson, as would Bayless.

Draft saved Draft deleted