1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do decent threads turn into p*ssing matches?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by budcrew08, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I believe the fact-free nature of a much of the argumentation here contributes, too.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Making my point for me... ;D

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ballpark!

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

Dex, I mostly agree, you fucknut. The percentage of assholes here mirrors pretty closely the percentage of assholes who exist in real life. The difference is, the assholes in real life are held in relative check by the knowledge that any one guy they challenge might take a four iron out of their car trunk and smash their headlight. Here, there's no risk of physical retribution, so the assholes suddenly grow bigger balls.

And I'm pretty sure if we each made a list of the Insufferable Eight, we'd come up with pretty much the same list. And I guarantee you that in real life, they are either frequently hospitalized, or they're nothing like their cyberselves.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I disagree.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And IJAG goes on the list.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Of course, calling out people who are just surfing here, minding their own business, doesn't help, either.

8. Basically, two people would cut the number of locked threads by 90 percent. The other 10 percent would be locked because of discussions about baseball's salary structure/revenue sharing issues.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This why you are quite simply The Man, Mr. Jones.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, too much probably. So has the rest of the management team. We're trying to "brainstorm" for solutions to a lot of the bullcrap that doesn't involve simply flushing the toilet and removing the turds (though that may be the ultimate solution).

I may be a fault for my long-ago bar analogy. People tend to behave differently in bars than they do elsewhere. Maybe we need to become a more upscale restaurant. You can discuss a variety of topics but a person is more likely to stand up and tell HEY ASSHOLE FUCK YOU in a bar than in a decent restaurant.

No matter what we do, we'll always have our share of assholes. I like the idea of "if you wouldn't say it to someone's face." Of course, the assholes will claim they would, which is bullshit.

We remain very much a work in progress. Maybe it is time to give the toilet another flush, as we did some months ago. Of course, the people who screamed loudest for that couldn't keep from bringing those flushed up at every opportunity, which only created a new set of problems for us.

Bottom line - discuss without being a dick. Make your point without resorting to cheapshots. Don't bring somebody who isn't even in the argument up, just because you don't like them.
    Act like adults maybe?

ps - don't send us suggestions about who should get flushed. We're already working on a list. A PM to any of us that says "so and so" will do one thing. It will get YOU on the list! So will a PM asking if you are already on the list. No, but you are now!

Carry on.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Oh yeah. One more thing - our standing question/offer to those who really don't like it here, don't like what the site has become, whatever? It remains.
    Why are you here? It's a big ol' net.
    You are here, obviously, because you really do like it. So become part of the solution.

11. How about a MASTER flush? Every single user gets reset and must start a new account? Kinda like the Genesis option from Star Trek 3.

C'mon Moddy, ctrl-alt-delete this sumbitch!

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think you would be very surprised if you went back and looked at say the last 10 or 15 threads that were locked and figured out who was responsible for the locking.

You'll find the number of people who show their ass to be far greater than two or even eight and more importantly, you might just find that some of your nearest and dearest buddies have themselves been a part of the locking.

Pointing fingers is easy, but like teachers used to say -- point one finger at someone else, there are four fingers pointing back at you.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.