1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did Canada boycott the Bejing Olympics?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They'll more than make up for it in two years. I don't think too many people in Canada care about the summer Olympics.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Au contraire.....the success Canadians have had in the past in swimming, track, cycling, gymnastics, rowing and other sports have attarcted plenty of interest here.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think CBC numbers show that even with no medals to date, Canadians are interested. It's not gold medal hockey numbers but there's lots of interest.

I should also say that CBC has done a fabulous job on covering the games. I hope NBC is taking notes.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr 96,

Actually, up in Toronto, a motion in Parliament to officially recognize summer as a season was defeated on a party line vote two years ago. It had once been part of Prime Minister Jean Crouton's campaign platform.

YD&OHS, etc

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I think Jean Crouton stole that from the Rhino Party platform.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Huggy,

Look, accepting Canada is part of North America was tough enough for a lot of Canadians -- maybe most -- to accept. Understandably they didn't want the summer-as-a-season bill pushed down their throats. That's not regional either ... it's true of Canadians in both area codes.

YD&OHS, etc

7. Grimace

Grimace Guest

In terms of govt. funding, if I'm not mistaken, the US athletes don't get much from the US govt. They get most of their dough from sponsors. Or am I way off?

So I guess the question is why there isn't more sponsorship money going to Canadian athletes. Is it because US companies would be seen as traitors sponsoring a Canadian? Couldn't Tim's Doughnuts sponsor a gymnast?

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Very true, Mr. Friend O. I could see us 905ers wanting it but you 416 types voting it down because that would cause all of us from the 'burbs to flock downtown and take up all the patio spots at the kind of trendy joints you like to frequent. (Is the Rondun still around?)

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Canada's still doing pennance for jamming Celine Dion on us.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Home Depot Canada sponsors Canadian athletes.

However, Canada doesn't have the corporate sponsorship base to fund an Olympic programme.

This is where the government kicks in, like they've done in Australia who already has 20 medals.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Tims is a huge sponsor of sports like soccer and hockey at the grass roots level. Companies like Hudson's Bay and RONA also support Olympic athletes along with probably a dozen others I don't know about.

I think the athletes look to the government for assistance with facilities and coaching, both of which are lacking here, as well as money to allow them to tran full time.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

In addition to the lack of sponsors and govt funding we also do not have a comparable level of college sports that can look after athletes.

Canadian university sports, even hockey, are not a huge deal here. Compare this to the resources poured into NCAA track and field and swimming for example and you have more high performance training opportunities.

Draft saved Draft deleted