1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Can't I Call In Sick?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's the standard for our department. you know, we're human?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I remember well the last day I was too sick to work: It was the day the shuttle burned up over Texas. That was one fucked-up day.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No, he has respect for himself and his profession.

I don't know why people continually undervalue themselves.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You sonuvabitch.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He also respects others. You people who try to make killing yourself the standard are screwing things up for your co-workers as well. It's pure selfishness.

6. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

All these people sick? This could be the beginning of the zombie wars...

7. I always considered sick days vacation days. I had 10 vacation days and 5 sick days, guess what? I had 15 days off.

I used every single one of them. Every year.

Guilty? Fuck no. The sun will rise tomorrow. If the paper is a 6.5 instead of a 7 out of 10, so be it.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

To each their own but I only use mine if I'm sick, but where I work, sick days carry over so by the time some people retire they have over a years sick time banked.

9. Sadly, I don't see myself or very many people leaving this business through voluntary retirement.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

then use them if you've got them

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

No, because we get nothing but frozen wages and furloughs for doing it. We have to do it to keep our jobs. I still think there are thousands of people who work 6-7 days a week for 8-10 hours a day on sports staffs. Maybe they just don't post here.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Guess if one is working 6-7 days a week for 8-10 hours a day, they don't have an abundance of spare time.

My worst sick story was getting out of the hospital on Tuesday evening and returning to work on Thursday.

Draft saved Draft deleted