1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why can't anyone spell D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnoopyBoy, Sep 2, 2006.

1. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Seriously, is there a word that gets messed up more than definitely? I was reading a local magazine and after a few times I realized every time the word "defiantly" was in print, it meant "definitely."

Example...
    "You defiantly have to come up here and play," said Joe Blow.

I read that was was wondering if they kidnapped the guy to go play. Terrible.

2. Fcuk if I no.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Fenian has been taken over by COCKDIAN!!!!

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I always spelled it "definately" until March of this year, when something finally clicked.

5. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I admit it's one of my more typoed words. Thing is, Word's spell checker usually offers defiantly as first suggestions. It can be easily overlooked, just bad editing.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. My sister spells it wrong, and I correct her every time. It never gets through, though.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I don't care about definitely -- what I need to see is every single English-speaking person on Earth to repeat this 25 times every night for three months:

I don't need an apostrophe to make a plural

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Amen, Meat.

And then the can follow it with 15 rounds of, "I only need one space after a period, unless I'm using a typewriter."

9. zman82

zman82 Member

i hate that word!!!!!

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, let's keep going. Please. ;)

Like everyone who insists on using "third-straight victory." And INSISTING that's right.

Or those who have never figured out what's wrong with the phrase, "a two-run single by third baseman, Jim Wilson."

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Ooh, good one.

I don't know if I can be both the offender and the annoyed on the same thread, but I really wish people would learn the proper state abbreviations instead of, you know, making their own up.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Shottie: You read my mind. On both accounts.

Holy fuck.

I'll add another one: Time-date-place. It's really not that hard, people. Really, it's not. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted