1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why aren't we griping about gas prices?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 13, 2010.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm not complaining because I don't drive anymore. But even if I did, with my newer Civic I would be getting much better gas mileage than I did back when prices were $4+.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Oh. I was hoping you would prove my theory correct, that people were making lifestyle changes in response to gas prices.

Although, I think that's still happenning to a large degree. On the "dealing with tragedy" scale, I think a lot of people have simply moved from anger to acceptance.

Now, $4/gallon? I think all bets are off then. Back to anger.

EDIT: Wait a minute!

dreunc, just wondering, did you make a conscious decision to buy a more fuel efficient car in response to gas prices? Or just a coincidence?

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I did. I mean, the car I had before (2000 Grand-Am) wasn't that inefficient, but I wanted something that would give me good gas mileage for years to come, assuming that prices would shoot back up again.

And then I moved to NYC while still paying for said car and my parents drive it. Brilliant.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hovering around $2.60 here...about a dime higher than a month or so ago. No big deal. (And I don't have to pump my own).

Noticed $3+ going to Citi Filed last week and in Manhattan on Sunday

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I haven't really thought about it much until now...I think I fill up about once every 7 or 8 days maybe. I drive 40 miles round trip to work, but it takes much longer than your typical 40-mile round trip commute. Still, I feel fortunate to only have to fill up every 7 or 8 days isn't bad. Every 10 days on occasion.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We've been in the $2.50-$2.90 range for a long time. It will go down a few cents and then up a few cents. It's been pretty steadily up for the last month.

I think people will start bitching again when the national average gets over $3. I think people are also remembering that not too long ago it was over $4.50 a gallon.

I also think that we're so fucked as a whole that gas prices are pretty far down on the list on things that freak us out right now. I don't think that was the case during 2008 when gas prices peaked.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, $3 is definitely the boiling point for me. I figure $2.50-$2.80 is just a way of life now.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

That's the one I was referring to. I didn't notice the price for regular (my car takes premium), but it probably is $3.90ish if the premium is $4.19. Ridiculous. That station's prices are always outrageous.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. spnited

spnited Active Member

When was gas over $4.50 Mizzou? I don't think it ever hit $4 for regular in NJ

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It was over $4 in NY a couple of years back.

And not to make this political, but I'd also think there was more anger a couple of years back because of Bush's and Cheney's links to the oil companies. You don't feel that with Obama.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, is that the one over by the Watergate and the big GW dorm that used to be a HoJo?

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted