1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why aren't the socalled Reverends Jackson and Sharpton attacking this?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Rap music - which lyrics often contain messages far worse and demeaning than anything Imus said.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Feel free to delete (or lock) this gosh darn thread now. Been there, done that.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Why must you run like a first-grader for the teacher every time you feel picked on?

This is a legitimate question - or have you not listened to rap? Are you that close-minded?

God help your children.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Seriously, you missed an entire thread (that has since been locked up) this week dedicated to this specific subject, in light of the Imus debacle. Sorry you missed out on the fun.

And there are bad lyrics in more genres than just rap. Difference is those bad lyrics might never hit the airwaves because radio execs can choose whether to play those tracks, so those dirty tracks, you often have to buy the single or CD to hear them. Imus is different because his comments came on his own show, which uses public airwaves, where you have to show some responsibility.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I'm talking specifically about the effect of that rap crap on the children of those the so called revs claim to stand for.

Jessie is an adulterer who should have been banned from ministry.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Newt Gingrich, Bill Clinton, Rudy Gugliani and many other Christians were adulterers, too. I'm guessing they don't listen to rap.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Didn't know he was in Ministry.

[​IMG]

And which Jessie are you talking about? Ron Jessie?

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Soon I discovered that this rock thing was true
    Jerry Lee Lewis was the devil
    Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
    All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world
    So there was only one thing that I could do
    Was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long

9. Ho-hum.
    As always, Google is our friend.

http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=8858

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Um, because Bill Cosby's doing it for them?

11. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Actually, the difference is this: Imus made his comment off the cuff. An innocent blurting out without thinking, whereas rappers stew over their lyrics for months, tweaking, rewriting, with their lawyers and record industry execs/PR folk poring over those lyrics as the recordings are made. THAT'S the difference, and that is what makes these rap lyrics more venomous, combined with the fact these rappers have never been held accountable in a public forum by heavyweight blowhards like a J.J. or Sharpton.

12. Except there are about a hundred "off the cuff" comments over the past 15 years.
    Mighty big cuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted