1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are you watching?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 22, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The World Cup running thread is up to 70+ pages, so I'm starting a new one. If you're watching, why? Me, I've come to the conclusion that we suck at team sports, even the ones we invented. Baseball? Nope. Basketball? Nope. Yeah, we're still pretty good at track, but that's more a collection of individual pursuits. So for me, this is a chance for the US to show it can hold its own on the field of play.

BTW, what's the proper term for Ghanareans people from Ghana? (Some of you were thinking it, so don't start with the sensitivity brickbats)

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Why do you hate America? ;D

3. novelist_wannabe

I should clarify that I'm not necessarily a soccer aficionado. I appreciate it, and I've covered a lot of it. But the next MLS game I watch on TV voluntarily will be the first. Generally speaking, I'll watch bad baseball (Braves bad, not Royals bad) before I'll watch anything else. But today, I'm making liberal use of the previous channel button on my remote, bouncing between USA-Ghana and Italy-Czech. And yeah, the passion of it has something to do with that, but I'm also tired of my national pride taking hits where sports are concerned.

4. novelist_wannabe

This just in: We suck at soccer too.

5. trounced

trounced Active Member

If the US can't beat Ghana in a sport, we just need to stop playing that sport.

6. Have you been watching Ghana? They're actually a good team.....

Watching the game at work.....you can imagine the grief i'm going to get if the US don't qualify for the next round.....

7. trounced

trounced Active Member

It's Ghana. The US should not lose to Ghana in any sport.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ghana's best player gets canned in the first two minutes on a yellow card. Ghana, thusly intimidated, scores for a 1-0 lead...
    And I'm supposed to gush over this sport, why again?

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That was a nice pass to the midfielder. Well done.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And don't forget that their two goal scorers from the Czech game aren't playing today.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That was a pretty f-ing sweet goal. Beautiful pass.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Even if I didn't vare to watch -- I do, obviously -- there are no other live sporting events on right now, which would lead me to watch the matches. Much better than ER re-runs that are on 24-7-365.

Draft saved Draft deleted