1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are we still in Iraq?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Jan 10, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Is there room for humor, here?

2. Back when we launched The Surge, this is what President Fredo told us:

"A successful strategy for Iraq goes beyond military operations. Ordinary Iraqi citizens must see that military operations are accompanied by visible improvements in their neighborhoods and communities. So America will hold the Iraqi government to the benchmarks it has announced.
    To establish its authority, the Iraqi government plans to take responsibility for security in all of Iraq's provinces by November. To give every Iraqi citizen a stake in the country's economy, Iraq will pass legislation to share oil revenues among all Iraqis. To show that it is committed to delivering a better life, the Iraqi government will spend $10 billion of its own money on reconstruction and infrastructure projects that will create new jobs. To empower local leaders, Iraqis plan to hold provincial elections later this year. And to allow more Iraqis to re-enter their nation's political life, the government will reform de-Baathification laws, and establish a fair process for considering amendments to Iraq's constitution."

It's almost 800 Americans later. Any of that shit happen yet?

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Somewhere, in some dusty drawer in the Pentagon, I would think (and hope) that there's an invasion plan for every country in the world. If we're going to be the go-to guy every time something flares up, that'd seem prudent.

As far as provocation, we damn near had it last week with that little stunt Iran's speedboats pulled. Reports said the Navy was thisclose to firing on them. After seeing the video, it's amazing that they didn't. The boats couldn't have been more than a couple hundred yards from one of our ships. If they had fired, God only knows how deep the shit would be right now.

4. Thinking Man

Thinking Man Member

Not so much ... not when Americans are being killed nearly every day.

5. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

So if this is all about oil and getting Bush's friends rich, will the price of crude plummet when a new president is in the White House?

I don't think so.

6. If you're Iranian you'd make the argument that it's the Americans who are the provacateurs by having ships nearby. You'd probably also ask what would happen if there were Iranian battle ships in international waters, east of New York City. But I'm not Iranian, so I won't bring that up.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Dick Cheney and friends are making too much money. Any other answer is treasonous.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Last time I checked it was 3.00 a gallon and all the oil companies are making record profits. I know this is a capitalist society, but please.

If we would have aggressively looked at coal and nucleur alternatives eight years ago, we would not be so concerned with the Middle East.

France is 80 percent nuclear in their power. Do you think there is another reason why they did not follow our lead into the Middle East?

Midwesterners, what happened to corn as fuel? You remember those good time years from the Reagan administration, right? Carter was a great President. We should have kept listening to him. We would not be in this fix today.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I remember reading somewhere that one of the reasons we didn't get out of Iraw after Bush decalred "Mission Accomplished" was that we would have been required to release prisoners of war if the war was indeed over at that point.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Because congress doesn't have the guts to stop funding the war, and would rather let it hang around Bush and the Republicans until next November than take any heat for doing the right thing?

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

There was never a legit reason to invade Iraq in the first place, which is why Dick Cheney and the entire Reign of Terror administration needs to be put on trial. But Congress is full of politically correct, timid Democrats so that will obviously never happen.

I've had five friends (and counting) die in this pointless "war" and I'm still sick to my stomach about it. Although he doesn't have a chance in hell of winning, that is a huge reason why I campaigned for Dennis K on Tuesday. You need a plan, some semblance of a timetable to withdraw troops. You also need to make the RoT accountable for their despicable actions.

If Bill Clinton can be impeached for lieing about a blowjob, there's certainly a good chance Bush, Cheney, and co. would be impeached for lieing about a false war that has killed thousands of Americans and many more Iraq citizens. The American public deserves to know the truth, as does the families of victims.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And that is the real reason why newspapers were created.

Draft saved Draft deleted