1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are there more Black players in the NFL and NBA?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sportsbruh, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

per "shotglass" black people make up 18% of the population - yet Black players dominate the NFL and NBA.

If so, and if this is true. Does that mean Blacks have a superior genetic physical ability?

I'm just asking.

Also, could you argue, In the U.S. Black immigrants from Africa average the highest educational attainment of any population group in the country, including whites and Asians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_minority#Black_immigrants_from_Africa

2. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

~crickets~

3. Reel E Reel

Reel E Reel Member

Are you joking?

Superior genetics?

I thought all that had been laid to rest.

The reason there are more blacks in pro sports has nothing to do with genetics.

It's commitment and work ethic.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Could it be because they're incorrectly told the only way out of the 'hood is via sports?

5. Reel E Reel

Reel E Reel Member

So, blacks all live in the hood?

Nice sentiment.

6. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Sports is closer to being a meritocracy than almost any other institution/industry in organized society, American or otherwise.

"White people don't understand why black people are allowed to say n-gger. Fine, we'll trade. You say whaterver you like, and we'll rule the world."

D.L. Hughley

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Where, exactly, did I say that? Not all of them do, but how many times have we seen stories about athletes who grew up in rough neighborhoods and got out due to sports?

8. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Next question is why aren't there more blacks in baseball, golf, tennis and soccer?

9. Last question is why I clicked on this thread.

10. Reel E Reel

Reel E Reel Member

You'd (I mean white people, not YOU personally) only bitch more if there were....

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey Inky...

[​IMG]

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I couldn't care less how much pigment any athlete has in his skin, much less how many players there are they similar amounts of pigment. Racial beancounters drive me crazy unless you can prove to me that somebody was denied a fair shot at making a roster because of his/her race.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.