1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are Asian-Americans so successful in America?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 19, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Why does it matter?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

YF, I saw - but admittedly didn't end up reading - a recent headline somewhere questioning why gentrifying neighborhoods still have shitty public schools. Basically, the parents in those neighborhoods either send them to private schools or to magnet schools like Whitney Young. There are no neighborhood schools like we think of them for white, middle- or upper-class people in Chicago. Maybe Lane Tech.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, let's stipulate that it's not the DNA.

What's the solution to the problem, and just as importantly, can the solution come from outside the communities effected?

I don't think you're arguing that we just need more time to elapse between the end of slavery and the eventual success of African-American students, so doing nothing will just extend the cycle of poverty.

Do we just need to do more of the same? Spend more money on the same programs and solutions that have failed to this point?

Or do we need to do something different? Maybe something radically different?

4. YankeeFan

100%. White, urban, liberals -- Cranberry excluded -- demand nearly all white enclaves for their kids to attend school. They will enforce this through district boundaries, as well as with magnet and charter schools.

And, White, urban liberal politicians -- like Rahm Emanuel and Bill (Warren Wilhelm, Jr.) de Blasio -- will deliver this to their White liberal constituencies, all while pandering to African-American voters.

New York City is the most diverse in the nation, and has the most segregated schools. Justify that.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't understand the obsession with the fact that the mayor of New York City took his mother's name. Our president took his father's name after growing up Barry Dunham, right?

6. YankeeFan

50 years ago, we held people like Bull Connor responsible for segregated schools, and today, they are universally condemned as racists -- and rightfully so.

Who do we hold responsible for the segregation of public schools in diverse cities like New York and Chicago in 2015, and why do we not condemn them, and the practice, as racist?

7. doctorquant

Because they'll piece together 600 of their old posts and dare someone to pick out which one was racist. Who needs that noise?

8. YankeeFan

I don't think President Obama ever went by the last name of Dunham. I think he did use his sepfather's last name of Soetoro for a time.

But, Bill de B changed his name because he didn't like the aristocratic nature of his birth name. It wasn't helpful in his career as peddler of victimhood.

9. YankeeFan

Hey, give the Southern Democrats of the '50's and '60's credit. They came by their racism honestly, and weren't ashamed of it.

Today's white Democrats talk a good game, but conspire with their white voters against their black voters, and this fact is largely ignored.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Knowing my sj.com history, as soon as I saw this title, I guessed how long before Dick threw out the n-word. He exceeded my expectations.

JackReacher and Riptide like this.
  11. doctorquant

As to the ORIGINAL question posed by the thread ... why are Asian-Americans so relatively successful?

Dierdre (formerly Don) McCloskey has written about certain behavioral habits that modern-day capitalism is especially prone to select for. If my children's friends/classmates are any indication, these habits are especially prominent among Asian-American children. An increasing return-- i.e., a little more of X leads to a lot more of Y -- to these virtues would go a very, very long way in accounting for differences in group outcomes.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Dick tossing out the N-word is nearly as predictable as starman unleashing a mooslim-negro diatribe in any thread mentioning our president.

Not sure where it's written that liberal credentials allow you to say offensive shit ..as long as you claim it's the other guy's thoughts. But apparently that's the rule.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    old_tony likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted