1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are all suitcases black? (AKA running SC flies East thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Aug 1, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have never lost a bag. And I never pack extra clothing. In fact, if my business stay is expanded, I generally have to find a laundromat to have something to wear the next day.

But anything large enough to hold 10 days worth of stuff is not going to fit into any overhead bin I've ever seen.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Maybe I wear really tiny clothes.

3. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

[​IMG]

this oughta do ya... ;D

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

This thread reminds me of a story from my college days.
    A few of my pals went to school where they were RAs and had to report in late August.
    Since my place didn't start until after Labor Day, I had some time to go visit them.
    So a few of us are getting ready to leave and we all have backpacks with our extra clothes, toiletries, etc.
    Except my pal Murph. He has an old, crinkled beat up paper grocery bag.
    "Murph, is that your overnight bag," I asked.
    "Yep, he said, "clean pair of underwear, toothbrush, that's all you need, dude."
    I then ask him, what about if he gets lucky? Where's your birth control?
    "I use the Amtrak method, dude."
    Amtrak?
    "Yeah, I always pull out on time."

Have a great trip, SC!

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I also carry one of these monsters, from Crumpler Bags:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

When your last two trips have been 10 and 11 days, respectively, you do.

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Clearly, you
    1) never go anywhere for longer than a weekend
    or
    2) you're not a girl. :D

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I am not, to the great relief of all concerned, a girl. Nor do I have really teeny clothes. I must be, however, a mighty slob, because I routinely make two-week business trips carrying only two carry-on bags.

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Where do you fit shoes? ... I'm thinking you take what, one pair of dress shoes and that's it?
    What if you want to work out - you need tennis shoes. What if you are wearing a black belt and you have brown shoes? Let me guess - you wear the brown shoes anyhow? :)

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Wear the sneakers on the plane. Pack a pair of black dress shoes. The entire suit/sport coat/slacks palette is tuned to black, so I never really wear brown shoes. But have a reversible belt if the need - mysteriously - arises.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

when you wear 13s, you pretty much are checking if you have an extra pair of shoes

and i've had luggage lost twice -- once on my way to a funeral and a couple of weeks ago in philly. both times i had my stuff the next morning. no big deal.

and try a san francisco -- seattle -- philadelphia 13-day trip without two checked bags

plus i'm a terrible packer -- i have no idea what i packed for this trip i'm on right now. i hope i have enough. luckily it's only two cities.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I've had luggage lost once: this weekend, heading to Cooperstown.

Spent 8 delayed hours at LAX on Saturday morning, flew to Newark because Continental's incompetent asses couldn't connect us to Albany the same day despite having all day to do it. They didn't have our luggage in Newark -- actually, they did but didn't know it/couldn't find it -- so we drove 3 hours to Albany anyway, slept 2 hours, then drove to Cooperstown to spend Induction Day in the same clothes for 36 hours. Then finally got our luggage in Albany on Sunday night.

(Unsolicited testimonial: read all about it on the Subscribers Board. :D)

Draft saved Draft deleted