1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Am I Friends With This Guy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jul 29, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

HAHAHA I was going to say something like that, but you did it in much funnier fashion. Kudos!

2. Sneed

Sneed Guest

It'd be frustrating, but it's nothing to get too upset about. Shit happens. Such is life.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'll admit it ... I'm that guy.

I blew off a visit with a friend recently, all because of car issues -- my ride has more than 200,000 miles and I don't trust it enough to commit to a six-hour drive -- that were reality long before plans were made.

But there's more:

I've blown off friends wanting to go out for drinks or hang out.

I've told family I'd visit for the day, only to back off a few hours from my scheduled arrival simply because I didn't feel like it.

Heck, I've even done it with work-related interview requests, though those are few and far between.

It's not that I'm a jerk. Well, maybe a little. More than anything, though, I'm taking my personal viewpoint -- frankly, I could care less if someone blows me off, there's always another day -- and thinking others will/should feel the same.

Obviously, I'm dead wrong.

4. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

When I was working nights, I had this friend who worked days who would make plans and then break them at the last minute because she was tired or didn't feel like going. It would tick me off so much; I only had two nights a week and she'd make me waste one of them and be stuck with no one to hang out with. Incredibly irritating.

5. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of that guy as well. I get asked to go out quite a bit and some nights I just feel like sitting on my ass, eating veggies, watching a movie and passing out. It's not that I think I'm better than my friends, I just don't seem to be amped to go chill. Note: this happens 85% of the time in the winter where I try to be up by 6AM for what I do in the winter.

I think some of my friends are starting to feel like I'm pushing myself out of the group, but that's the last thing I'm trying to do. I guess you could say I'm a bit of a loner.. ?

EDIT: However, if we work out plans for a big weekend or something like that (sporting event, golf, disc golf etc), I'm not going to bail on that.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, I don't think we're talking just not going out. We're talking about making plans and then leaving others high and dry.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That must be annoying.

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Ha. I forgot to put in the 'forgive me for the shameless brag' note afterwards. But, I mean, it's just stuff like, 'going out?' or something like that.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Maybe you just don't know how to quit him.

Draft saved Draft deleted