1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why am I about to buy my wife a Mother's Day gift and card.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, May 6, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Any kind of card? Baseball card? Blackjack strategy card?

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I've been married 18 years and it still works for me.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Get out of jail free card.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Community Chest? Joker?

But the sure winner: AmEx.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Same rules apply in five weeks, eh?

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Folks, every year, I buy four Mother's Day cards, happily so. One for my mom, one for my stepmom, one for my ex-mother-in-law and one for Little Man's mom. At $4 apiece, I spend $16 and get a load of goodwill in return. Pretty damned good investment in my mind.

And yes, I also call my sister and wish her a Happy Mother's Day as well.

7. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

This brings up another question: Do men really care about receiving cards?
    I hint to my wife I'd really rather her save the $4 bucks since the sentiment behind the cards means a great deal to me but the cards seem like just more clutter.
    Am I the only guy who feels that way?
    That said, she gets a card from me for all such occasions because they DO mean something to her.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I could do without cards, to be honest, especially at my birthday. I feel obligated to keep them but never look at them. That being said, any card from Little Man is definitely a keeper and the only real exception to the above.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

My wife and I have stopped buying cards for each other--we make our own instead. And the boys do the same for mother's day as well. To me, it means so much more when you take the time to write the words on the page rather than slap your John Hancock on someone else's words, that may or may not fit. Must say it resulted in some pee your pants laughter last week reading over the birthday card my youngest made for me.

Still get the standard Hallmarks for our mothers.

And as long as I'm alive, my wife will get a card and flowers from me on Mother's day (gift is transitioning to the kids at this point, so my involvement there is lessening as years go by). She may not be my mother, but's she's the mother of my children, and for all the work she does, all year long, a card and some flowers are, to me, a small token to show my gratitude.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I know it's a joke. I'm telling you what I think about it. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted