1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why am I about to buy my wife a Mother's Day gift and card.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, May 6, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

I would mistake you for one of my brothers but my dad never gave in.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Because you want to continue to have intimacy with your wife. DUH!

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Because you have to.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Does she buy you gifts for Father's Day? There's your answer. :)

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I find the whole concept of "man points" or getting your "man card" and nuts taken away permanently utter bullshit. I'm so Goddamn sick of that sort of enforced masculinity I want to projectile vomit.

If you get your wife a Mother's Day card and she doesn't have kids or she isn't the stepmother to your brood or she isn't pregnant with your firstborn, you're just a sucker for $5 or so. If she's the mother of your kids or their stepmother, it's a small token of your appreciation for the hard work she does making sure they're well-fed, taken care of and loved.

And besides, getting someone a card or gift when it'd otherwise be inappropriate can be fun. I still remember Father's Day 1982. My grandfather gave me $2 and said, "Happy Father's Day."

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Thirty-eight seconds, my man:

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Do we lose our man card if we buy our wife one of those Mother's Day cards that say "from the cat" (or "from the dog") on them?
    If so, I need to turn in my man card.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Did you expect anything but idiocy and bullshit from JR?

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Personally, I think you gain man points. But that's just this one woman's opinion.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

JR's not the only one on this thread spouting off that idiocy and bullshit.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ok, this may sound funny coming from me, but do we really need personal bullshit on a thread like this?

I have gotten Mrs. OOP a gift and a card for Mother's Day since the birth of little Miss OOP. I also help the little one get her a card. She does get me a present for Father's Day, but they usually suck, which is strange because normally she is much better at gift-giving than I am.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I guess I have no balls. I think it's nice to give moms a little attention, whether mine or not. Moms are special people. I don't have kids. Probably never will. I just don't think I have that emotional capacity. I'm in awe of people who do.

Draft saved Draft deleted