1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why all the over-the-top mourning for President Ford?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think you, as someone who doesn't like the current administration, are intentionally avoiding the actual point, just as Bennett, as someone who defends the current administration, avoided addressing Ford's best option — which was publicly criticizing the administration and being accountable for that criticism while alive.
    Ford lobbed a bomb from beyond the grave, which isn't a 'decent' thing to do, as Bennett pointed out. Ford should have voiced his criticism publicly while alive.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's more indecent of Bennett to speak ill of the dead than it was for Ford to embargo his comments until after his death.

That was my original point.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

To call that speaking ill of the dead seems like more than a bit of a stretch. Bennett says that he thinks Ford was decent man. He's criticizing the way Ford handled the Woodward interview.
    You can hardly call criticism of a public figure's actions within the public forum speaking ill of the dead.
    Don't let emotional reaction cloud reason.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The self-proclaimed arbiter of morals and values called Ford "indecent" within days of his death.

How is that not indecent?

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sustained GOP campaign tactics have lowered the decency bar, below-ground.

What goes around, comes around.

6. Not decent or indecent. It's just less good than doing it while you're alive, and Bennett's flailing for a reason to blunt its impact, like the public charlatan he is.

7. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I hate the bastards with a passion, but is going to be pretty cool to hear a band play "Hail To The Victors" for Ford during the pomp this weekend. I don't know if it's a half-truth, Presidential tall tale or what, but apparently he liked it better than "Hail To The Chief."

Me? Play "Hail, Hail" when I die!

Oh, and it's great that the last Michigan game Jerry ever saw WAS A LOSS TO tOSU!!!!

8. He probably knew all the words to Hail To The Victors.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My grandfather had "The Victors" at his funeral, too. He was a Meeeechigan man.

One day, I'll have it played at mine.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

To say that I'm not a fan would be a huge understatement, but (Vice) President Cheney's eulogy was pretty eloquent.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

I always thought it was an unwritten policy for ex-presidents not to criticize the current one.
    And to answer the thread's question, yes, he was a president, a commander in chief and has earned the honor.
    You may disagree with the man's politics or policies but you respect the title and office.
    I wasn't a Jimmy Carter fan but when he dies, I will mourn his passing as my former president.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The question is ... will this happen for Clinton or Bush (II)? I don't think it will.

I think it might happen for Bush I, but I don't see it happening for Carter (who knows; he's a helluva human being.)

But I'm fairly well convinced that Ford is the last president, maybe in my lifetime, who will receive such reverence from all corners, who will be highly respected for the office he held. I think that's what's special about this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted