1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whose death would cause the greatest stir?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'd have to say Queen Elizabeth because she has been a world leader for about six decades. When a pope dies, it's obviously huge globally, but I don't think Benedict's passing would have that big of an impact because he hasn't been in the position all that long and was pushing 80 when he got it.

2. Yeah but in Russian years 80 is like 110.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

20s and 30s? why?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Celebrity-wise, Betty White, because of her late-career resurgence. She's beloved across generations.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ali is 70 and in poor health. I don't think there are too many people worldwide whose death would be mourned more.

6. Nelson_Mandela

Nelson_Mandela New Member

7. Mizzougrad96

Dick Clark as well... I think his death would be taken pretty hard by people in their 60s and 70s, among others...

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The over-80 requirement takes some of the steam out of the discussion; a death at that age isn't unexpected. Open it up to maybe over-65, you get the unexpected 'too soons'.....Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger...

But if you're talking over 80, definitely the queen, just for the historical significance a coronation.

9. Mizzougrad96

I saw the "Over 80 or known to be in poor health..."

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it will be interesting to see who is a bigger deal, Jagger or McCartney. I guess it depends how old each one is when he goes. But all things being equal, it's interesting to debate who is the bigger pop culture icon. McCartney's band was slightly bigger. But Jagger was the clear face of his, while McCartney was 1A.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If by stir you mean "chance for epic social change" I'd go with Justice Scalia, if it happened in the next few months.

12. Mizzougrad96

Both will be huge deals, but I think McCartney is probably the more beloved of the two because of his charity work and whatnot...

Draft saved Draft deleted