1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whose career-altering/ending injury do you remember?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Billy Sims.... fuck yeah.

What a player.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Packer division: Sterling Sharpe, Tim Lewis, Craig Newsome

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Bo Jackson. I wonder what he would have done by the end of his careers.

4. WS

WS Member

second on Prothro. Ruined the only good game Mike Shula ever had as a coach

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

These I was too young to remember, but still wonder, what if?

Bill Masterson, died after a North Stars game in 1968.

Henry Boucha.

This I remember...

George Pelawa (sp)....he led Bemidji to the state hockey tourney in 1986 (I think that was the year) and had signed to play hockey at North Dakota. That summer, he died in a car accident. I remember seeing him play at the tourney that year and the first thing you noticed when he took the ice was how BIG he was -- he dwarfed the other skaters out there. Had he lived, he probably would have made the NHL.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I immediately thought of Malarchuk, easily the most gruesome in-game injury I've seen, but wasn't he back playing within a few weeks?

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

I would say Theisman, because that looked horrible. Maybe seeing it several times makes it seem worse.

The impact of Dennis Byrd was obviously worse, but I don't know (or can't remember) if it looked worse. The accident involving Bill Masterson, may he rest in peace, was not widely viewed because you didn't have ESPN.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Mark May's(the ESPN analyst) career ended after a nasty fall during a post game shower.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Theismann boomerang-leg on freeze-frame is the most gruesome one.

A more obscure one was in June 2000 in Arlington when Ruben Mateo ran out a ground ball, stepped on first base and snapped his right femur. I talked to Johnny Oates about it in the offseason and he said it sounded like a rifle shot. Mateo was an up-and-comer, too. I believe he is now with the Nats.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Donnie Boyce, former standout Colorado basketball player. Snapped his leg at the Big 8 Tournament, and you could hear it from the stands. The guy was screaming so loud ... man it was sad.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I know it wasn't career ending, but the Willis McGahee injury against OSU was really gruesome.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'll third this one. I still have nightmares.

Draft saved Draft deleted