1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's your favorite obscure band, musical artist?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wedgewood, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Both quality choices. Ditto Kathleen Edwards, mentioned by Bill Horton.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oingo Boingo
    ViperHouse when Heloise Williams sang
    Co-Deez

3. Too many for me to name, which is probably a testament to taste in bands that, while good, don't stick together for long, but I do particularly like Ireland's Cactus World News and England's Screaming Blue Messiahs. The former cut just one LP that made it to U.S. shores (a second was recorded, supposedly, but I've not been able to find it). The latter cut three LPs and several singles but is, unfortunately, notorious for its "I Wanna Be a Flintstone" track that made its way into one of the film adaptations.

The band's LP, "Gun-Shy," is utterly brilliant and I play it on the turntable so often that everytime I find a copy of it at a flea market, I buy it since it's usually just 20 kronor.

And, for what's worth (I may be unveiling my southern roots here), is anyone a fan of Drivin' n' Cryin or a Month of Sundays or Southern Culture on the Skids?

4. ARD

ARD Member

Kevin Gordon

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I loved the early-90s debut album from Gutterboy, a New York band that seems to have faded into bolivian. Saw them open for the Stray Cats one night at the Danforth Music Hall in Toronto. One of the best opening shows I've ever seen.

6. They're touring clubs as an anniversary deal. Keep an eye out.
    Also, I forgot Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I'll second Mary Lou Lord, who, sadly, doesn't have a record deal currently.

FYI Tyler, Mary Lou Lord has a My Space page where she has some pretty racy pictures of herself. Caution: NSFW. It's kind of odd because you don't expect that from an indie/folk artist, but if you have a crush on her like most fans, it's worth checking out on your personal time.

8. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

I guess I'd say both.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Sorry, shot. Anna Nalick is all over XM's two hit stations (Flight 26 and Hitlist), not to mention Mix 22. She's far from obscure.

10. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I don't know if you could call them obscure, but Matthew Sweet, Pixies, Fugazi, Husker Du.

Love blues guys like Chris Duarte, Joe Bonamassa and Robin Trower.

11. Franklin

Franklin Member

they're not really obscure per se (critics and music snobs are always talking them up), but not many folks today listen to them, so i'd throw mission of burma into the ring.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

From wiki:
    Guy I really enjoy is Bob Schneider, another Texas guy. He had "Bullets" on the Jay and Silent Bob soundtrack, and I got hooked on him from there.

Draft saved Draft deleted