1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's to blame for the death of newspapers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by budcrew08, Mar 29, 2009.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

The thing that's really disheartening about that is, recently huffingtonpost had a story about the death of newspapers, and the comments were the same shit from the other side -- the corporate mainstream media didn't expose Bush's lies, so they deserve to die, etc., etc., ad nauseum.
    So our death is kind of a Rorschach test ... people can see in it whatever they want, can find validation for whatever bullshit they believe.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Totally agree. So many papers tried to reach out to the young and/or "too busy to read a jump" market, and succeeded only in creating a paper that can be read cover-to-cover in eight minutes. Now the longtime loyal readers are pissed off.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Actually, I think the Walter essay blamed good eye-pleasing design, and said the long 1-column reads were great.
    What was true back when newspapers realized they were being threatened, is still true today, they haven't had the balls to radically change their biz model for fear of turning off print advertisers and displeasing their corporate overlords.
    Tiger Woods was king of the hill (damn, just nailed another one) and he realized he needed to change his swing for the long haul even if it meant losing some tourneys in the short term. That's boldness - something newspapers haven't had in a long time.

4. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Me? I blame focus groups. Waste. Of. Time. And. Money.

5. lono

lono Active Member

Word, Kleeda.

For one thing, focus groups tend to steer people to answers that fit some pre-conceived slot, not bring in unbiased insight.

6. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

I blame the blacks.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Excuse me?

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Who is this Craig? We should all take up torches and pitch forks and beat down his door.

9. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Sarcasm not funny, eh?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure if that was your goal, since I had never seen you post before now.

My bad. Sorry. Carry on.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

That was one, great article by the late writer.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That's the short answer -- classified ads traditionally made up about 40 percent of newspaper revenue, and what business could sustain a 40-percent hit?

But the bigger answer, I think, is a bunch of executives who were blind to what was coming. Newspapers had the infrastructure, the name brand, the staffing, the money -- newspapers could have been craigslist, could have been eBay, could have been wikipedia. No reason papers couldn't have offered those services.

Those sites started with nothing and had no advantage over newspapers except people paying attention. Meanwhile, we were busy holding banquets, slapping each other on the back and handing each other plastic awards for coverage of city sewer board meetings. Fiddling while Rome burned. A fucking shame.

Draft saved Draft deleted