1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

who's the most overrated team after 2 weeks?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by XXXX, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I just don't know if the Bears are for real, just yet. It is true that good teams beat bad teams. But, there seem to be some very bad teams in the league this year which could make some mediocre teams look pretty good.

2. trounced

trounced Active Member

They may not have played anyone but they were absolutely dominant. Nine sacks against Oakland. They outgained Tennessee 250-15 in the first half. San Diego is well coached and is VERY deep. When you've got possibly the best tailback, tight end, linebacker, and punter in football you've got a chance. Add a Pro Bowl defensive tackle and one of the best young three-techniques in football and you're loaded. Rivers is going to struggle at times but that's a darn good football team.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Next two weeks should lend a little more insight about the Bears: at Minnesota, then vs. Seattle.

After that it's: vs. Buffalo, at Arizona, vs. San Fran and vs. Miami. Not unrealistic to think they could be 6-2 or 7-1 at the midway point.

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

No one has mentioned the Giants???

Every time I think of Rivers, I also think of Eli Manning. Both "seem" to have a lot in common though I'm not going to pretend they're the same player.

Just saying - both of their respective teams have Pro-Bowl talent around them and they're both being set up to succeed.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I wouldn't say the Vikigns are overrated, since no one outside of Minnesota likely thinks they're that good.

They have two wins over well-regarded teams, but I don't see them doing much of anything with
    1. The Bears in their division
    2. An offense that can't score

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Seems a little twisted Pastor to call the Bears overrated after crushing Detroit, then in the next breath to call Seattle overrated for only just getting past the Lions.

One team was able to do what another "contender" was unable to. I think the Bears case was cemeted a little bit there with the blowout this weekend.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I thought about saying Jacksonville, because I rememeber that 28-3 playoff last this past January, but I can't dump on the team that just shutout my Steelers last night this quickly.

8. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Weakest 2-0 team: Minnesota.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

My argument was merely that after two weeks, there are no real teams that can be overrated. How can anyone rate these teams to begin with?

Many of these 2-0 teams haven't seemed to play anyone.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well it's easy to see who the dregs of the league are ie. Raiders, Titans etc., but it is also possible to see the Bears, who last year played very well until they forgot to cover Steve Smith in the playoffs.

They are as all back as a team can be in the salary cap age, seem to have acquired a passing game, and still have a kick asses first ask questions later defense.

Not too hard to see that they demolished a Lions team who held the Seahawks out of the end zone the previous week.

11. tommyp

tommyp Member

Disclaimer: I am a Giant fan.

Overrated? Hardly. Pardon the pun, but the 'sexy' NFC East choices by most prognosticators were either the Redskins (my choice for overrated) or the Cowboys. No respect was given to the defending division champs, and while some of these predictions were correct in focusing on the difficulty of the Giants' schedule (the league's toughest, along with Cincy), none seemed to take into account that the Giants actually are a good team. If the Giants make it to the playoffs, they will be the annual "team no one wants to face."

I fail to see your argument in this case. Comparing Rivers to Manning is obvious, but aren't most teams "set up to succeed?" (OK, maybe not the Raiders.) Case in point: Pittsburgh. The Steelers tailored their offense to capitalize on Ben's strengths and provided him with plays he felt comfortable with.

My team is down by 7 with two minutes left. Do I want Eli, Philip Rivers, or Big Ben leading the team toward a tying score? The track record says Eli, because he has done it in each of the last three seasons.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

College teams can be overrated, and that means something because it can affect who wins the national championship.

NFL teams aren't overrated. Some are just disappointments, but the best theoretically wins.

Draft saved Draft deleted