1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's the douchebag here?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Dec 7, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They can change their ways, but this isn't a heart-warming after school special here.

Athletes are held to a higher standard because they are representing a university and a team. That's why when they land in trouble with the law, I wouldn't find it fit to present them with the highest honor in college football. Now, I'm sure many of you will disagree with that, but that's just my opinion. And I don't have a vote and never will.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I could agree to a well-reasoned argument either way on handing the award to Cam Newton now or leaving him off your ballot.

I am not sure that calling fellow journalists feminine hygiene dispensers is the most effective way of stating your case.

Perhaps Gregg's pheremones were jangling.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, you're the only one I call an asshole, and it's justified.

The difference is that I didn't write a column seen by thousands of people and call someone an asshole, or, in this case, a douchebag. Doyel should be good enough to make his cases without calling colleagues names, simply because they have taken the opposite stance.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Doyel is a moralist <i>and</i> a contrarian, and how that works is like this: He's outraged at the lack of outrage on one topic, and outraged by the outrage on another topic. And at the end of the day, all his colleagues are in on the joke, and he knows that, and smart readers know that, and it's a big reason why people don't trust writers. Some of them spend way too much time, shall we say, jacking off into their own bellybuttons.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And here I thought Gregg was more likely to respond if you called him Greg than if you called him a douchebag. Or an asshole.

6. greggdoyel

greggdoyel Member

Alma, I think I love your post, unless you're saying that I'm the writer who, you know ... does things into my belly button. In which case I take it back. We duel at sunset. So I can wear my Affliction shirt and my sunglasses at night and pull off the douchebag perfecta.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Alma was lumping you in with the onanists, Gregg.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Get Doyel to stop by that Conlin thread for a minute and we'd have a harmonic convergence of, um, rubberbaggery.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

That whole bellybutton thing was a metaphor, right?

10. middleman

middleman New Member

Some have Heisman votes and rarely watch major college football. A former sports writer I know had a Heisman vote but spent every Saturday covering the FCS team in town. Rarely saw the Auburns of the world play. Caught the highlights, I suppose, but that was about it. He felt completely uninformed but yet voted for the Heisman every year.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm going to weigh in on behalf of the nihilists and argue that everyone in college football is corrupt, or playing with someone who is corrupt, or playing for someone who is corrupt, so pretending that Cam Newton is dirty while others are clean is only another way to further perpetuate the fantasy that amateur athletics in this country are pure in any form. For God's sake, give the kid his Heisman. He's earned it with all the soulless assholes he helped make rich this season, and that should probably include people who go on television in $1,500 suits and wag their finger at him and his dad for soiling the virgin sheets of major college football.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

This.

Draft saved Draft deleted