1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's smarter, brain surgeons or rocket scientists?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Sep 15, 2006.

?

Who's smarter, brain surgeons or rocket scientists?

1. Brain Surgeons

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Rocket Scientists

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Journalists

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

From the Borowitz report

Rocket Scientists Not as Smart as Originally Thought
    New Findings in Study Commissioned by Brain Surgeons

Rocket scientists, long considered the gold standard in intelligence among all professionals, are not nearly as smart as originally thought, according to a controversial new study published today by the American Association of Brain Surgeons.

The study, which appears in the organization's monthly publication, Popular Brain Surgery, is entitled "The Intelligence of Rocket Scientists: Myth Versus Reality," and suggests that rocket scientists' reputation for smartness is largely undeserved.

"It does require a superior intellect to function as a rocket scientist," the article concedes. "Having said that, though, rocket science is not brain surgery."

The article drew an immediate rebuke from a spokesperson for the American Society of Rocket Scientists, who blasted the study as "state-of-the-art pro-brain surgeon propaganda."

"As rocket scientists, we take offense at this naked attempt by a devious cabal of opportunistic brain surgeons to supplant us as the smartest people on the planet," the spokesperson said. "If rocket science is so easy, we'd like to see these so-called brain surgeons give it a try one of these days."

Professor Davis Logsdon, a University of Minnesota expert who studies the turf wars between rocket scientists and brain surgeons, said that he believes the latest controversy between the two groups has been overplayed.

"The fact of the matter is, the smartest people in the world have always been, and will always be, University of Minnesota experts," he said.

Elsewhere, after a backup punter at the University of Northern Colorado was accused of stabbing the starter in the leg, he said in his defense, "It was either that or start taking steroids."

2. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

This study seems like money well spent.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not sure of the validity of the study, but brain surgeons are better dressers, I bet.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

In case there was a question, the Borowitz Report is a satirical news column. Totally bogus, but good for a laugh most days.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oops.

Guess I shouldn't have bought the subscription to Popular Brain Surgery from the kid selling subscriptions door to door yesterday.

6. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I totally glossed over the satire. Then again, cocktail hour started at 5.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't know who is smarter, but judging by this:

http://www.houstontexans.com/cheerleader/bio.php?PRKey=42

I woud say that rocket scientists are definitely hotter.

Can you imagine some of the dorks as NASA drooling over this girl, trying to muster up the courage to ask her out?

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

My sister and her husband are both rocket scientists. Without further explanation, I'll say brain surgeons.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Speeking as a former roket cyntist, Eye can ashore ewe we are more smarter then a dum ast sergion.

P.S. I never, ever, ever had a girl like that cheerleader in any astrodynamics course I took. Never. Ever.

10. Bear

Bear New Member

One of my best friends is a brain surgeon. He did his residency at Duke and I sometimes feel like I'm not worthy enough (or smart enough) to be in his presence.

I have some other friends that are doctors that I might not let prescribe me Advil, but this is someone that I would be willing to let him cut open my head if I needed surgery.

11. Am I the only one who is reminded of the commercial from a few years ago when the boss guys says, "It's not rocket surgery, people!"

12. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

I think Bill Belichick should be part of this discussion. We're always calling him a genius.

Draft saved Draft deleted