1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's responsible?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Taylee

Taylee Member

For any all-metro team, we rarely call coaches to ask about their players. We'll ask, "We know a lot about your kids, who are some of the best you've played against?" or "We've heard a lot about this kid, what did you think when your team played against him."
    Coaches have agendas. If one kid makes all-district, many coaches will want the other kid to make all-metro. It makes everyone (read as parents) happy.
    Coaches, generally, will be honest when NOT talking about their kids and team.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

For our all-area teams, we send out forms to coaches and have them send us their nominations, and they can't vote for their own players. If we don't get a form back from a coach, then their players don't get on the team.

At least parents can't bitch we left players off. Of course some coaches don't like each other, so they may not vote for those kids, which sucks.

Once the teams are figured out, then we get quotes from coaches and stats if we don't already have them. Seems to work out well.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My last stop in Michigan, the staff picked baseball, softball, football, basketball and volleyball.
    Coaches picked wrestling, swimming, track and cross-country, but the latter three pretty much stood on time.
    We were not about to pick an all-area tennis team under any circumstances..

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

I do something similar, in that a coaches vote for his own player counts as half a vote (one point opposed to two points for votes on players not on his/her own team).

5. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

We pick players of the year for each sport, one boy and one girl (when needed) and leave it at that. We don't do all-area teams for pretty much all the reasons listed in this thread.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Group team shots are absolute disasters.

First, it puts you at the mercy of any one kid or coach who gets pissed and decides not to show up, or forgets the time, date or place of the shot. You can only do it if your paper has enough local leverage to MAKE everybody show up.

Second, the staged group team shot is one of the most boring pieces of standard art in newspapers, prominently mentioned in every photography and design textbook in the "Don't Do This" chapter.

Good action shot of the Player of the Year. File mugs of the COY and the All-Area First Team.

Everyone else goes in lists.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The only problem with JUST sending out lists is that some ADs or principals are bad about getting mail to their coaches. Or some coaches who don't teach in the school may not check their mailbox as often.

If a coach doesn't return a nomination/stat all-area form, it's a good idea to give them one call, leave a message with the info that you need and the deadline.

If they still can't get the info, they can't say that they didn't get any messages.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

or, as the duck said to the hooker: "put it on my bill."

9. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

Excellent. ;D

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would ask ask many coaches as you can for input. If I am picking a sophomore who has a sister who is a senior on the team and they are close in talent, I sure would want to get the coach's opinion.

In volleyball, if you have strong local club teams, maybe someone there could help with some input, too.

I don't like the group photo unless you stage it in some fun way. What's the point of going through the hassle of getting everyone together and shooting it like every other team photo?

Better to do a nice layout with action shots or mugs of the players -- more impact, too.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

There's not many club teams in this area...only high school. The good players travel a ways to be on AAU teams.

The team photos are staged and cutout, it's not just them in a line. We're a little more creative than that.

I think the main problem this year was that we made the All-Area teams too quickly after the season got over. I think we need to wait until the coaches pick the All-Conference teams. That way we can use it as a tie-breaker if need be.

And this area is huge on those lists. I am against such things, but my boss is the former SE, so I kinda have my head in the noose when it comes to making drastic changes.

12. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i don't trust coaches to be objective like we are. they can nominate, I will decide.

Draft saved Draft deleted