1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's No. 1 tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DisembodiedOwlHead, Nov 25, 2007.

?

Who's No. 1 tomorrow?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2007.
  1. Missouri

22 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. West Virginia

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. Other

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

This should be worthy of its own thread. I think both will share first-place votes.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm voting for WVU in my SportsJournalists.com poll. A case can be made for either. If both teams win next week, it won't matter.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Doc is also forgetting he's married to a Mizzou looser fangirl. :)

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

And DOH, with the amount of Mizzou grads on this board, this poll could get ugly in a hurry.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

I'm counting on the anti-Mizzou-fanboy counterbalance.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I'll vote Missouri No. 1, and not because I'm a fanboy (though I am.) The win over Kansas and the win over Illinois are better than any win West By God has, and the win over Texas Tech is comparable to any the Mountaineers have. And WVa's loss to USF looks worse now than Mizzou's loss to Oklahoma.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

As impressive as WVU looked, I'd vote for Missouri ater they had a pretty easy time against the country's last undefeated BCS school.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

This unwritten rule that if No. 1 wins, they stay No. 1 no matter what is bullshit.

If the No. 3 (AP) team in the nation beats the No. 2 team in the nation (and No. 1 loses), and No. 4 isn't beating a top-10 team, the No. 3 team should be No. 1 because they beat a top-2 ranked team.

I have a feeling if we were talking about USC or Notre Dame as that No. 3 team, there wouldn't even be a question -- they would likely get 75% of the first-place votes. But because it's someone that "isn't supposed to be" there, the lack of respect becomes apparent.

That's why everything that comes down to human voting is flawed, because of bias.

Spoken like a true, biased, fanboy looser.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

USF has three losses. Oklahoma has two. Stunning difference. And fuck Texas Tech. The Raiders are a walking gimmick.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

SportsJournalists.com poll credit where credit is due to The Good Doctor, who I believe was in the Mountaineers' corner from Day One.

And they'll be first in my SportsJournalists.com poll, with Missouri second. I don't like leapfrogging teams that also beat ranked opponents, and I had WVU second last week, two ahead of Missouri. But with as many Missouri grads as there are in sports journalism, I'll be mildly surprised if the Tigers aren't first in the AP poll. Ditto for the poll here.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I'm sorry, did I say it was a "stunning difference"? No, I didn't.

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

Missouri's wins over Illini and KU came on neutral fields. T-Tech at home.

WVU won at the campus stadiums of Maryland, Rutgers and Cincinnati. While only Cincy is ranked in that bunch, I'm not sure what Missouri's best true road win is ...

Draft saved Draft deleted