1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's next for the Steelers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trey Beamon, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

There's a proven Super Bowl winning ex-coach from nearby Aliquippa, PA that's available. ::)

[​IMG]

2. WSKY

WSKY Member

Petersen did coach at Pitt for season back in the day as their QB coach... maybe he'll be the guy

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Peterson coach at Pitt? By all means, the Panthers ought to keep him in mind for the day they fire Wannstedt.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Maybe the Rooneys will hire the Cowher look-alike after all.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ugh...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2728176

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Talk about thinking outside the box and smashing it to bits. Bad choice, tho.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Same thoughts here. I cringed when I heard that. Horrible choice if they go that way.

8. Based on the Steelers most recent hires, and by most recent, I mean in the last 30 years, Whiz fits to a T, as does Russ Grimm. Bring in guys who bring few others with them, as to keep the current staff in place with minimal change. I kind of cringe when I hear Gailey too, but I cringe more for Cameron. Get the full-body shakes, as a matter of fact. Offense and no defense? In Pittsburgh? No thanks.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Have you ever seen Dan Rooney? Delightful guy, but he hasn't bought a new suit or pair of shoes in the last five years. The man resists change. The chances of them making a radical shift away from what they do (Great defense, strong running game) are zero.

10. Looks like Whiz is out, and Russ Grimm is a shoe-in for the job. Not quite sure how I feel about that, but it is what it is.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Stories out of Pittsburgh have this as a three-man race right now with Russ Grimm, Ron River and Mike Tomlin.

I just read a story in the Post-Gazette about the potential for drastic changes if Tomlin were to get the job. He relied heavily on the "Tampa 2" scheme as the Vikings' defensive coordinator. Four-man front with zone coverage and you generate pressure with the defensive line.

In other words, the absolute worst possible scheme for the players the Steelers have. Some of the pieces in place could adapt (Aaron Smith could flourish as a 4-3 DT and James Farrior has played OLB in 4-3 with the Jets), but you would have to think this would be a major step backwards.

Rivera is a 4-3, Tampa 2 guy as well.

All the more reason to think Grimm is getting this job.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is there any chance the Rooneys make the new guy keep Dick Le Beau and the beloved 3-4?

Draft saved Draft deleted