1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's next for Bama?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 9, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i hear larry coker is looking for a coaching job

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Alabama won't hire Rush Propst as head coach; offensive coordinator, maybe.
    UAB on the other hand would consider Propst..

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Dear Mal: I'm still available. Sincerely, N_W

Maybe they should hire Tommy Tuberville. If you can't beat'em ...

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Been gone all week. Haven't (yet) swallowed the gun. Will spew bile after Christmas party late tonight.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Really? So that "promotion" to AD was more like a "reassignment" in Watson's eyes, eh?

6. footballworld

footballworld Member

I personally think that David Cutcliffe would be a great fit. He was a student asst under Bear at Alabama. He took Ole Miss to a Cotton Bowl and won it. He is the difference between last years UT teams and this years team.

Here's the best possible choices for Bama, as I see them:

1. Jeff Fisher, Titan Head Coach(unlikely, but should atleast ask)

2. David Cutcliffe, Vols Asst Head Coach

3. Jimbo Fisher, LSU Off Coach

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

As word spreads of Gene Stallings practically asking to be hired on an interim basis to right the ship, there will be immense pressure from some corners to hire him. Not only did he coach Alabama to its last national championship, but he was and is the closest thing to the Bear the Crimson Tide have seen since 1982.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

has there been a coaching job in the southeast in the past five years that jimbo fisher HASN'T been mentioned as a candidate?

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I think Bama is being short-sighted in not looking at assistant coaches. Lloyd Carr, Bret Bielema, Charlie Weis, Bobby Petrino, Bob Stoops (among others) had no collegiate or pro head coaching experience when hired. Making a blanket rule like that for this search is just stupid.

I would hire either one of the LSU coordinators. I am beginning to wonder if Bo Pellini is a child molester or something -- he's been successful everywhere he has gone and he hasn't been hired as a head coach yet.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

If they can wait four weeks for the Giants to finish falling apart, I once again nominate Tom Coughlin.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Carr was hired on an interim basis to replace Moeller and happened to have good timing. Bielema was hired because his predecessor also was the AD, so you have to wonder how much coaching/mentoring Barry's doing from upstairs. Weis was hired because he had Super Bowl bling. Three very different scenarios to hiring a Mike Shula.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

But all of them would have been passed up if their schools operated under an internal blanket rule requiring head coaching experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted