1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's cheating?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cranberry, Jul 30, 2008.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This from Buster Olney's blog this morning, saying that a competing Web site is back-dating stories to make it appear like it's breaking news.

The competition is part of what makes this fun, but this year, there have been times when a particular Web site will backdate its time stamp on the story to make it appear as if that site broke the news first. Happened again on Tuesday, in the aftermath of the Teixeira trade. Something to watch for.

Tacky, if true.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very tacky. As a journo I'd be pissed. As a reader, I don't know if it qualifies as "something to watch for."

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

No more tacky then when ESPN.com gets beat on a story, has one of its guys play catch-up and write "ESPN.com's Joe Blow has confirmed ..."

And readers do not give a shit either way.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sure it does, don't the readers obsess over who got the first time stamp?

I would say this exceeds tacky. If Onley is correct, seems the better description would be LYING.

5. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Or when ESPN's "sources close to the (enter team here)" turn out to be wrong.

6. cranberry

I agree there. But I think the note was meant to be picked up by the industry. Sort of an anonymous outing. Buster should have just named names if he's going to the trouble of posting about it.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What I'm saying is I don't know if readers would click on a story multiple times and notice a timestamp added after the fact.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I like Olney a lot . . . so no offense meant to him when I note that I wish that someone other than an employee of the world's pacesetting sports-reporting self-aggrandizers had come up with this little item.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Agreed, Ben...the ultimate pot/kettle scenario

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My wife bought Buster's book last week in a binge at B&N, says: "Ever hear of this guy? It looks like he can write." Yup, he's very good, I say. There's a huge world of people who don't watch much ESPN. Even funnier, she probably read his stuff a thousand times in the NYT and couldn't recall the name. All this "we-have-learned" proclamations and being first by five minutes mean nothing to readers who have a life.

11. cranberry

All of these five-minute "scoops" seem like an anachronism on the Web, a measurement carried forward from the days when a scoop meant beating the competition by a day in a newspaper or an evening news broadcast.

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Anybody want to take a crack at which competing site is the one changing its time stamps?

Draft saved Draft deleted