1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whom do you boycott?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Some members have made pretty clear on the company boycott thread that they are steadfast in principles and affiliations and similar things. I'm wondering: Would those principles apply to friendship? What characteristics are essentially deal-breakers for you when you meet a new person?

I have friends of all stripes. My strategy: I refuse to get into long discussions of politics or religion. I am happy to explain my thoughts if someone asks, but I never bring it up and never get into back-and-forth arguments. You can't win them.

As a result, I stay away from people who wear their political or religious beliefs on their sleeves. I don't need to be lectured, even if I agree with you.

But mostly, I avoid vegans.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: What people do you boycott?

MMA fans. Never met a more idiotic group.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If you take yourself way too seriously and are a douche (which I guess goes hand-in-hand) I will likely avoid you.
    Also, if you only call me because you want something, I'm not likely to return a phone call.

And bad BO. Lack of deodorant is an automatic deal breaker.

4. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

In college: members of the Greek community
    Out of college: those who still act like members of the Greek community

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Our thoughts are identical on that.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Are you saying you have no problems with vegans?

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

+1

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I covered a show last year where the mother of one fighter stood for his entire fight next to the cage and screamed at the top of her lungs. Not screaming words, just a constant "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"
    The fans just ate this up and began chanting for her.

9. I tend avoid just about anyone who is really outspoken about anything, except sports. I find more often than not people THAT are that "passionate" about something - politics, religion, vegan - they are nuts.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

People who talk to me about baseball, football, basketball or hockey and assume that I care about those sports enough to know what the hell they are talking about.

And vegans.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Skip Bayless and SAS.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My daughter's doing the vegan thing. I must abstain.

Draft saved Draft deleted