1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whole Foods/Trader Joe's

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

TJ's by me is dirty, limited produce and no fresh meat or fish.
    Wegman's is by far the best store. Prices on the prepared stuff are high.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I envy all of you.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Is there a Stew Leonard's anywhere near where you're living now? I hear that's pretty amazing, too.

4. imjustagirl

I had a Leonard's in Virginia.

here's why I envy you: I wish I cared enough to shop at a place that's going to cost twice what Wal-Mart costs. But I don't. I like preservatives. I like brand names I know. I like non-organic. But I've moved to a state that openly hates Wal-Mart. There's one within 20 miles of my house and it has three half-aisles of grocery. There's one kind of packaged lunch meat I can buy.

I went to a Trader Joe's two nights ago. I bought a small pint of ice cream and a little container of chocolate-covered pretzel bites. It was $8. And there was nothing in that store that looked normal to me. It looked like California shopping (sorry buckweaver).

There are no Krogers, no Meijers, no brand-name groceries I've ever heard of. No Wegman's, no Albertson's...just places that could be Aldi-like for all I know (also bad).

So I envy people who like fresh food, who prefer healthy food. All I want is some damn pizza rolls.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My TJs experiences have cost me no more than my local grocery store. The cereal is cheaper.

6. imjustagirl

What size is everyone else's Trader Joe's? This one's in a strip mall and had four aisles. Is that smaller than normal?

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They're generally not very big, not the one's I've been in - not sure how big the one here will be but it doesn't look huge.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I finally live near a Trader Joe's, haven't checked it out yet but plan on doing so soon. I agree, though, with those praising Wegman's. I really miss it now that I'm not near one; the other places I've gone to can't hold a candle to its prices, selection and friendly service.

9. maberger

maberger Member

so you steal. maybe that's why the prices are so high -- to help make up for you and your buddy the fish guy.

10. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I am a fan of both, but a regular of neither. I maybe go once a month to both.
    I do love TJ's hummus. And I love WF's prepared foods and salad bar.

And I could care less about organic.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I told my wife about this thread and without missing a beat she said "Whole Foods."

She does got to Trader Joe's - it's a lot closer to us - but warned to be careful there, especially of the canned products (if you're looking to eat healthy). She says at TJ you need to be careful of high sodium as well as many products having trans fat. Oh, and the fruit seleciton there does suck.

(Of course, my wife also agreed that Whole Foods is more expensive, so you have to keep that in mind as well.)

12. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I don't shop at Wal-Mart because of their union policies and the fact they expect other people to pay for their employees' health care. Too bad you can't shop at Kroger's, they're union-friendly and have good selection. I trade off between TJ's, Kroger and a small independent store here. Target also has some interesting snack-type foods with their new Archer line.

Draft saved Draft deleted