1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whoa ... Former Illini RB Steve Feagin charged with rape

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In my experience that's not true. The only time I've ever been picked to serve on a jury it was case where the accused plead guilty so all we had to do was decide on the sentence. The court made it very clear to us what the parole options were based on the length of sentence that we would hand down.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wow, must be different someplaces.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Only five states have jury sentencing: Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas & Virginia. Everywhere else and in the federal system, judges do the sentencing. Some additional states allow a jury to recommend a sentence, but there's nothing binding about the recommendation.

Also, pet peeve, juries don't "hand down" anything. They "hand up." Judges "hand down" things. Judges are literally elevated in court rooms and juries are not. When you pass something up to the judge, such as the verdict, you are handing it up. When the judge gives a sentence, she is literally handing it down to the clerk.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I heard a story on NPR today about Henry Hill, the Wise Guys/Goodfellas inspiration. He was once sentenced to 10 years, and he quickly figured out that he could get out in four-and-a-half. He calculated time off for good behavior, attending classes, taking part in a religous retreat, all kinds of stuff. And, sure 'nuff, he was paroled after four-and-a-half.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Innocent until proven guilty, let's remember that. But in the court of public opinion, it doesn't look too good for him.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I think you might've missed this post: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3361959/

He was found guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt, by a jury.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

At least they hand out real sentences for rapists in the States, unlike in Canada where our version Jerry Sandusky -- Graham James -- received a three-and-a-half year year sentence in 1997 for raping Sheldon Kennedy and two other players, of which he served 18 months. Then he received just two more years a couple of months ago when he plead guilty to the rape of Theo Fleury and his cousin Todd Holt of which I will be surprised if he serves much more than a year. And that's just the ones we know about. Greg Gilhooy was another alleged victim that the court didn't want to charge James for. It wasn't a one-time deal with each of them, it was systematic and long-term. His first conviction consisted of 350 charges of rape of a minor. There are often times when I wish Canada would sentence people to 90 years.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I hear ya, Beef, although I'm somewhat the other way.

The dragconian sentences sometimes handed out in the US are crazy. At least in Canada, a person can see the light at the end of the tunnel and have hopes for a real life again. With some of the sentences in the US, it's over.

Now, honestly, I don't see any difference at all between 50 years, 90 years and life. It's over either way. Might as well kill 'em now and spare the agony. In my mind, someone has to do something pretty horrific and be beyond all hope of rehabilitation to merit that.

I guess maybe someday we can find a middle ground.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've always said a life of man-love in gen pop is better for some than being spoon-fed filet mignon on death row for 20 years. Do away with the death penalty.

Draft saved Draft deleted