1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who you have been wrong about?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Dec 8, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This is probably only good for the hockey guys, but I was sure Jeff Taffe would be an NHL star and that John Pohl would be selling insurance by now.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

oh, also cover dunta robinson at the high school level. really, really liked him, but thought he'd be a very good small-college defensive back. was surprised when south carolina decided to use their last scholarship on him. didn't think he'd be an sec-level corner. i was wrong. but happy to be wrong.

was right about tony taylor and quentin moses, though

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

First one that comes to mind... I thought Robert Gallery was going to be an all-world lineman.

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

From the times I saw him, I didn't think that kid from Carolina, last name Jordan, would be an NBA superstar. Maybe I didn't see him enough. Or maybe I'm the biggest dumbass in the annals of dumbassity. Hmmm. ::)

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Obscure thought they'd be good:

• Mid-80s Dodgers 3rd baseman Jeff Hamilton
    • Lakers top pick way back when David Rivers
    • Current Celts forward Brian Scalabrine (if they gave him a 25-game starting trial I think he'd do fine)
    • Former Kings sniper Jimmy Carson (actually, he and Robitaille had a great rookie year together before Carson shit the bed)
    • maybe the biggest disappointment Glenn Robinson. I thought he'd be the next big thing
    • New Mexico running back DonTrell Moore. Reminded me of Emmitt Smith, but I don't think he was drafted

6. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Marvin O'Connor (Nelson's teammate at St. Joe's his first two years) - probably the best pure shooter I've seen in person in college. Not only could he shoot, he was also able to create off the dribble and wasn't just a spot-up shooter. I thought he was going to be one of those under-the-radar guys, make someone's team in camp then shoot lights out in the NBA. I just can't remember where things went wrong.

Chris Paul - Watching him in college, I thought he was going to get devoured by the bigger guards in the NBA. To me, he never really stood out in the ACC. I was so sure on him that I was actually glad when the Hawks passed on him. Note to Hawks owners - never ask me for advice on college players.

7. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Carlos Boozer.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Numerous, numerous women.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Dwayne "Pearl" Washington.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I didn't think Babe Ruth was going to amount to much of anything.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Respert had a reason. He battled cancer, as it turns out, pretty much his entire NBA career.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=1962444

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I vaguely remembered reading that on the wire a few years ago. It's a shame because he could have been a very good NBA player.

Draft saved Draft deleted