1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will win the Walter Payton Award?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Nov 24, 2006.

?

Who will win the Walter Payton Award (the equivalent of the Heisman for 1-AA football players)?

1. David Ball, WR, New Hampshire

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Steve Baylark, RB, Massachusetts

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Clifton Dawson, RB, Harvard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Jerome Felton, FB, Furman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Justise Hairston, RB, Central Connecticut State

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Josh Johnson, QB, San Diego

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  7. Marcus Mason, RB, Youngstown State

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  8. Jason Murrietta, QB, Northern Arizona

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. Justin Rascati, QB, James Madison

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Pierre Rembert, RB, Illinois State

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Kevin Richardson, RB, Appalachian State

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  12. Ricky Santos, QB, New Hampshire

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  13. D.D. Terry, RB, Sam Houston State

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  14. Tyler Thigpen, QB, Coastal Carolina

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Steve Walker, QB, North Dakota State

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Arkee Whitlock, RB, Southern Illinois

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Players are listed alphabetically. Who will be the next Tony Romo (2002 winner)? You can find info on all the finalists here:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/?DB_OEM_ID=2400

I'm picking Josh Johnson of San Diego to win the award. (Tyler Thigpen is my second choice.)

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Agreed on the San Diego QB. Led a team to undefeated mark (with two games remaining) and he's a very good student. He's been learning from Jim Harbaugh, the head coach there, and has been solid all year. Shame USD didn't make the I-AA playoffs, but Johnson getting this award would take a little of the sting out of missing the postseason.

3. I didn't realize that USD missed the playoffs. How did that happen? They're undefeated! Right?

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

They weren't really eligible. The playoffs start tomorrow, and USD still has regular season games to play. Your regular season has to be complete to make the playoffs.

5. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I don't think the USD QB will get it. That would be like giving the AL MVP award to the best player in Triple A.

USD is essentially I-AA, oh sorry Football Playoff Subdivision, in name only since they are non-scholly and don't play top tier teams. That strength of schedule kept them out of the playoffs since whoever they were playing said it would be alright to bail on the last game.

If I had to guess, I'd say Santos or Thigpen.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Cape Fear is pretty much spot-on. I-AA is like the JV version of the Division I hoops tournament: If you're not in a conference with an automatic bid, you're not getting an at-large bid. There's always a non-scholarship team or two that goes 12-0 and has to be content with the non-scholarship national title. There actually is one of those. Joe Walton won two of 'em (cue Jets fans screaming) at Robert Morris.

One of the New Hampshire guys will win. Maybe the Ball guy who broke Rice's record for TDs.

7. San Diego played Holy Cross a few years ago and they seemed like a team on the rise. (The game was in San Diego and I wish I went to it since my buddy ended up doing donuts in his rent-a-car on the Petco infield which was being built at the time).

Neither New Hampshire guy will win it because truth be told - New Hampshire was a disappointment this year.

Don't overlook Clifton Dawson from Harvard who had 21 TD's (20 rushing) and set the career Ivy League rushing mark (maybe he gets a role in the next Steven Bochco crime drama?).

I was surprised that the RB from Yale didn't make the final 16 (although he's just a sophamore and surely will be a finalist next year).

8. sportschick

It's a crock that Josh Swogger isn't on this list. And Lex Hilliard woulda run away with this award if he'd not been lost for the season before it started with that Achilles injury.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I saw Swogger gun slinging in a few games a few years ago for WSU, and then he wrecked his knee and lost the job to the current Cougar QB. Or was that a different Swogger? An Ursline grad in Youngstown? I always thought he'd have a pro career if he had any support.

I also thought Ricky Santos was going to be the next Tony Romo, ala I-AA QB that went to the NFL and eventually even started somewhere. How he doesn't have New Hampshire undefeated and number one I don't know. Chris L, what happened to UNH this year?

10. sportschick

Same Swogger.

11. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

I voted for Mason. San Diego has zero wins against schools with scholarships.

12. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I was about to say ... San Diego, Davidson and any other team in the Pioneer Conf. don't really belong since they're non-scholie and pretty much only exist to help keep their basketball programs in D-I.

Draft saved Draft deleted