1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will make it to the 3,000 hit club?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Japan: 1278

MLB: 2164

TOTAL: 3442

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I might well be wrong and I don't have time to look it up right now, but isn't the Japanese season considerably shorter than the MLB season?

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

4,000 between the two would still be awesome.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I can't say for sure, but the most games Ichiro has played in Japan was 135 twice. He had 130 games three or four times.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The Japanese season is only around 140 games.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Once they hit 40, most of the prior 3,000 hit players only had about 250-300 hits left in them.

Damon looks like he has a decent shot. I don't think Manny has it in him.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

He'll be 37 in October.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I say Jeter and A-Rod, definitely. I didn't even realize A-Rod was that close.
    Pudge gets it just because he seemed washed up three years ago and has continued to linger. He's got a good enough rep as a defensive catcher and a guy that's good with young pitching staffs that he can hang around a couple more years, get 100 or so hits each year (kind of like he's doing with the Nats this year), and squeak by.
    Ichiro has a long way to go, but he might squeak by with a couple more top-shelf seasons.
    Oddly, I think Damon has a shot. He's never been great but is strangely productive. He's close enough that if he keeps doing what he's doing until he's 40 (he's 36 now) he might get there. Three seasons of 135 hits a year, plus one more "hang on" year and he's home.
    Everybody else on that list is already on their last legs.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I used to think Damon had a shot too, but he no longer has the arm for even left field and he doesn't hit for enough power to be a DH. He may have a hard time finding a job at the end of THIS year.

Scott Boras is going to cost Damon the HOF. Should have taken that multi-year deal last winter from the Yankees and put up a couple more Yankee Stadium-aided seasons. Then he'd be within spitting distance of 3,000 and someone would give him a shot even in his age-38 season.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Only Jeter and A-Rod get to 3,000.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

As much as I'd like to agree, I wouldn't be surprised if one or neither makes it. Something happens to guys when they get within sniffing range of the mark. The hits don't fall, their bodies begin to fail.

Draft saved Draft deleted