1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will buy the Cubs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Apr 2, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Cuban's net worth runs about $1.8 billion, compared to Zell's $4.5 billion.

Half a bill might be a bit much for Cuban to swing right now, considering the number of different projects he's involved in.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

MLB's not going to let a rock-the-boat type like Cuban buy the Cubs.

The Henry thing is surrealistic enough to make a shitload of sense. He wouldn't even have to re-write the media guide. "Playing at historic Wrigley Field, we are committed to breaking the Curse of the Billy Goat and bringing a championship to the upper midwest. And Armchair_QB."

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I gotta big-ass jar of pennies at home.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Whose size ass?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah well my Tootsie Roll bank is filled with quarters. So if you're nice maybe I'll let you on as a minor investor.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Murray, Bill---if nothing else but as a silent partner.

Will, George---Wouldn't be surprised at all if he forks over some.

Cuban, Mark---Would be interesting if nothing else.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Thanks, Vern.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I don't care who own da Chiefs I hate it here make me sick my hallergy puke every time blaaaagh like that puke.

That said, I seriously don't care who owns the Cubs, just as long as it doesn't go back to a corporation.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

They couldn't go wrong with Mark Cuban.
    I'm really serious. That guy'd have the Cubs in the playoffs and winning.

10. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

As big of a pussy Bud Selig is, Cuban won't be getting fined as much... if they let him in! I think it's a good idea letting him buy the team, he could go get drunk out in the outfield with all the other Wrigley drunks, then he could walk on the field and yell at the umpires later in the game!

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That's the thing, though. The Cubs lose all their charm if they become, gulp, successful.
    And don't feed me the Red Sox comparison. The Red Sox have fielded competitive teams for most of the last 40 years, and the deal there was more about not being able to win the big one vs. just sucking so bad.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I could have scratched up $600 mil or so until I got married.

Now, I don't have two quarters for an f-ing Coke Zero.

Draft saved Draft deleted