1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Will be the Next Coach at Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 21, 2009.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not to thread-jack, but they've got to stick with the Catholic party line there. They took the vows. They pretty much have to walk the walk.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Just so you know Mike ... not every priest has been a pedophile.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Tommy Tuberville to South Bend. Mmmmmm....never thought of that one.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Somehow, I don't think any coach, who has to get his players from a wide variety of backgrounds, would necessarily take a polarizing public political stance. So the Kelly assertion...I would have to see a link before I'd buy it.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Al Golden.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

To me, I don't think a coach has to take a stand or stand with the school on an issue that is politically-driven. Let the school politicize, and let the coach coach. ND hasn't ask or told Charlie about where he stood on anything, neither was Uncle Lou, Davie, or Willingham.

I don't expect the next coach to be under that cloud.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think the coach is OK so long as he doesn't go public with his political preferences.

Recall that Rick Majerus, basketball coach at the private, Catholic St. Louis University, got into hot water with the local archbishop for his public support of Hillary Clinton for president.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They'll be lucky to get someone good because of the too-high expectations of the Notre Dame fanbase, which is the football version of Kentucky basketball fanbois.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So Notre Dame will have to settle for a mid-level coach without any name recognition like UK just did?

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Based on the last few years of college football history, as opposed to the previous 50....sure.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I can't think of a big-name FBC coach who comes with his very own door, so ... basically, yeah.

12. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

There's always Central Michigan's Butch Jones, but I heard his wife takes birth control.

Draft saved Draft deleted