1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will be Mitt's running mate?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 14, 2012.

?

Who will Mitt Romney choose as his prospective VP?

1. Chris Christie

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. Rob Portman

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. Marco Rubio

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  4. Paul Ryan

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Other

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  6. Tim Pawlenty

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  7. Bob McDonnell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Surprised Bobby Jindal's name is not being mentioned. He. Has the conservative credentials, good backstory and would help lock up the South for Romney IMO.

He also seemed to be out in front of the BP disaster (at least he handled it much better than Blanco handled Katrina). Again, just a thought

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And what a speech giver!

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A funny semi-dark-colored fella is not going to "lock up the South" for anybody.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like Jindal, but what does he bring to the ticket? It's not like Romney is going to struggle to deliver Louisiana and Mississippi.

The last article I read about who Romney might pick did mention Jindal, but it also said that his popularity was waned a bit in the last year or so and he has taken (maybe not by choice, I don't know) a much lower profile.

Does serving in Bush's cabinet hurt Portman?

I don't know where Christie sits in all of this. I saw some interview recently where he seemed to warm to the thought of being on the ticket, which was the first time he seemed to be that way.

5. Starman

Also, Jindal professes to be a Shiite Catholic pretty much in the Santorum mold, which will NOT help with the yee-hawww southern evangelist wing.

Plus there's the exorcism thing.

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

To be honest, I think you're forgeting about that whole - surprisingly influential - Flannery O'Connor block.

7. Mizzougrad96

I don't think he's been as vocal on the Catholic stuff as Santorum, but yeah, I think there are enough issues with Jindal that Romney won't consider him.

Rubio makes sense. Portman makes sense. McDonnell makes some sense. Paul Ryan would be interesting from a "This is going to be all about the economy" standpoint, but his hardline stances on certain issues would hurt Romney in some key states.

I like Christie more than any republican out there, but I would be curious how much of a boost he would give Romney. He might be too moderate for some of the base.

If he picks someone like Pawlenty, or goes the "safe and boring" route, he deserves to lose.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Shiite Catholic might be the dumbest of the terms you've coined.

Shiites are members of one of the two main branches of Islam. There is nothing in the term to indicate a stricter adherence to doctrine or radicalism.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

In all honesty - I'm not sure there is any VP candidate who will help Romney out - he is just not a likable person, he has nothing new or fresh to offer and "outrage and hatred" of Obama is nowhere close to the level it would need for it to be in order to have people voting for Romney just to get rid of Obama.

10. Mizzougrad96

He's used it many times before.... Yes, it is offensive, but remember who we're talking about...

11. Mizzougrad96

I still expect Obama to win in November, but it does say a lot that Romney has been consistently gaining ground over the last month. As I've said before, I don't understand it, but that's what the polls say.

If the election really came down to one or two percentage points, I think the right VP choice could make a difference. I think a lot will depend on whether Obama's gay marriage stance hurts him in a couple states that he won in 2008 like North Carolina.

12. Starman

The term "Shiite Catholic" is particularly fun because one of the main cornerstones of their agenda is hysterical anti-Islamic rhetoric and it drives them (even more) batshit berserko to be compared to any brand of Muslims in any way.

And yeah, it's offensive. It's fully intended to be. To a group richly deserving plenty of offense, and spectacularly unconcerned about the offense they monotonously dish out themselves.

Draft saved Draft deleted