1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will be Mitt's running mate?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 14, 2012.

?

Who will Mitt Romney choose as his prospective VP?

1. Chris Christie

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. Rob Portman

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. Marco Rubio

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  4. Paul Ryan

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Other

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  6. Tim Pawlenty

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  7. Bob McDonnell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For some reason, there seems to be a lot of momentum on Portman lately, probably because of his appeal in a swing state.

Thoughts? I figure this can perhaps be a thread for all things running mate.

2. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

See, Dick that would make sense picking someone from a swing state. And yet, neither candidate did that in 2008.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't imagine Rubio isn't the overwhelming first choice.

There's part of me that has a hard time believing he would take it, but the "experts" all seem to say otherwise.

4. Mizzougrad96

Obama needed someone with experience. McCain needed someone who would energize the base.

I'd say both succeeded. :)

I don't think Edwards was able to deliver North Carolina in 2004. I think it's safe to say Cheney wasn't picked to deliver Wyoming. :D

5. Dick Whitman

Although didn't Biden really play up his Pennsylvania bona fides?

He probably won't do it so I didn't put him on the list, but Mitch Daniels would have the dual effect of securing a fringe swing state (probably going red anyway), but also getting people out for the huge down ticket battle in that state.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I voted "other" for no particular reason.

Whoever it is, he or she will be living in Joe Biden's house this time next year.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think it will/has to be Rubio., but I'd be thrilled with Ryan as well.

They are each articulate, and confident. They can defend, and promote conservatism, and capitalism.

And, judging from his performance on FoxNewsSunday last week, I think Rubio could be the kind of attack dog VP nominee we haven't seen in a while -- all while not coming across as "angry".

Ryan could too, and would help focus the debate on the economy. The question would be whether or not the electorate likes his recipe for recovery.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Is Portman even particularly popular in Ohio?

9. Mizzougrad96

It's been a pretty long time since a VP was clearly picked to deliver a swing state.

I know Kennedy famously did it with LBJ in 1960.

It's arguable whether that would apply to Rubio, since he's considered an up-and-comer in the republican party and wouldn't be picked just to deliver Florida.

If he picked Portman, it would be pretty obvious.

10. Dick Whitman

He wins elections by a very wide margin, for whatever that's worth.

11. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

It seemed like Biden added even less to the ticket than a VP candidate would normally.....

12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Birthers have attempted to morph the "Obama was born in Kenya" argument into, "both his parents weren't citizens, so he's not eligible for office."

That makes a Rubio choice problematic, at least to a certain, less sane, more vocal portion of the electorate.

Draft saved Draft deleted