1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Was Better?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Feb 14, 2020.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

He never had that dominant October masterpiece that Smoltz, Glavine and even Steve Avery, had.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, but the overall numbers are better than people seem to think and I'd take him over any of those guys in a heartbeat. Smoltz is the only one I might consider tossing out there for a big game over Maddux.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Except they play two different sports

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Eric Dickerson or Barry Sanders?

5. CD Boogie

Not sure why Maddux is considered a one-game, make or break guy. ESPN: In the postseason, he had just one game with no runs allowed and four with one run allowed (by comparison, teammate Tom Glavine had 14 such games).

I’d give the rock to Smoltz or Glavine before Maddux if it’s one game

6. CD Boogie

Sanders. He had a much higher YPC (5.0 to 4.4) and had a much bigger disparity between TDs and fumbles: 99-41; 90-78.

Dickerson fumbled a shit ton.

EDIT: in 1994, Sanders led the league with 1883 yards on a ridiculous 5.7 YPC — and he didn’t fumble once.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't think run support is a valid gauge for postseason pitchers. You're going up against the best in the game - runs are going to be harder to score anyway.

Maddux was the king. But not of October.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maddux isn't considered one of those guys, but I will still happily go with the better pitcher. I can see going with Smoltz for a single game due to his superior stuff and proven record in those situations.

Then again, that wasn't the discussion. It was who was better. Maddux beats all of those guys.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I denounce this.

10. CD Boogie

[
    The discussion became wanting Maddux for one game, Ryan for a series, which is odd because Maddux has no history of being a big game pitcher and Ryan has almost no postseason experience and none in the WS (at least as a starter). Whatever, we got off track.

11. CD Boogie

The first step toward fascism is denouncing the truth.

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Put me down for Sanders as well. Dickerson was a beast, but he also had a fantastic offensive line in Los Angeles and a strong line in Indy. Sanders ran behind a no-name group in a pass heavy offense.

Draft saved Draft deleted