1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who says Greg Oden isn't ready for the NBA?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Apr 2, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Let's just say what we're all thinking:

Michael Jordan never had to play against Greg Oden.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

How you reconcile your first paragraph with your last. You never did anything for money, but you cynically assume others would/should?

It's just money. You can't take it with you.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed outloud at that

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Greg Oden expected The Spanish Inquisition

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Huh? What exactly would he learn at OSU next year (or the next three for that matter), that he couldn't learn with a pro team? Is Matta THAT good a coach?

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Ohio State University isn't going anywhere. That's just about guaranteed. University will be there long after Oden is finished playing basketball.

Oden's physical skills, OTOH, could be gone with one wrong step.

If he's the No. 1 or No. 2 pick, he owes it to himself to get the fuck out of Columbus.

7. IU90

IU90 Member

And to his family and future children. There's one story every one these kids should hear before making their decision: Chris Marcus'. At least guys like Livingston and Jay Williams got paid before their crash. Marcus was foolish enough to listen to the Dick Vitales and come back for another year when he was a certain high lottery pick, during which he suffered devastating injury and ended up getting essentially nothing.

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Did you just make that up? :)

9. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Packer is senile. He also said he never understood why basketball isn't like other sports and let their players stay in the whole game regardless. Paging Dr. Naismith.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Look, I believe in a college education as much as the next person. But let's be realistic. What, exactly, is the point of going to college? Seems a reasonable answer would be to gain the knowledge and skills you need to prepare you for adulthood/the workplace.

Oden, by all accounts, needs only declare for the draft to be the No. 1 or No. 2 pick. So he's got a job ... a ridiculously great paying job ... all lined up and ready to go.

And I'll promise you this: If I thought that the NYT or DMN was itching to hire me, and pay me millions of dollars, when I was freshman, I'd have left town before they could change their mind.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I shook my head when he said that, too.

12. NUPE 1911

NUPE 1911 New Member

You kids talk as if Oden could not develop while in the NBA. There is absolutely no real reason for Oden to stay at OSU. This is evidenced by the fact that right now Oden has a post game superior to at least 85% of the big men in the NBA. NONE!

Draft saved Draft deleted