1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who says Greg Oden isn't ready for the NBA?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Al Horford is a tremendous post player, and he will probably be a solid pro.

And every time Horford has gone one-on-one against Oden inside, he has been owned.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think Oden is looking somewhat better than Joe Barry Carroll tonight.

3. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Oden will get nothing out of staying next year. He won't improve because there aren't any 7-foot players who can chew gum and run at the same time. He needs to go to the NBA.

Durant might as well go, too.

I just hope the Celtics get neither.

Earlier in the season, i said i'd take Durant .. sorry, I need to amend that and make it Oden.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oden will make a lot of coin either way, but if he stayed in college just one more year, he'd improve his game immensely. If he stayed all four years, he could become the greatest center in the last 30 years.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No offense, but you're just dead wrong.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Except he'd be out $12 million he'd never get back.

Your career is X years long. Might as well spend as many of those X years getting paid millions, as opposed to (theoretically) nothing.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

What else is new?

Oden could gain tremendously with another year in school. A full season with two functioning wrists. Another season to mature and hone his offensive game.

And A_F ... that was a dumb statement. I'll turn your argument against you. You said only Tim Duncan looked more ready. He stayed at Wake Forest for four years. He could have been a lottery pick after his sophomore year, and the No. 1 pick overall after his junior year.

I'm not saying Oden should stay four years, but claiming that he'll get nothing out of staying is very short-sighted.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Wow. You think that much of money?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not to speak for Starman, but if someone's making millions off you, you may as well get some for yourself. Legally, at least.

Oden should run like hell to the NBA.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

A_F, if you think David Robinson was not polished when he came into the NBA -- after 4 years at the academy and 3 years in the service-- you have no clue what you're talking about.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And Kansas. And everyone else. Kid played his heart out tonight, too bad his teammates never really showed up.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Oden has to go. He will be the first pick. Staying one more year to learn a few things you could also learn in the NBA isn't worth the potential money he could lose.

It would take just one freak accident on the court, and it could all be gone. He has to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted