1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who said this: "OPS is, to be blunt, stupid."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Meaningful stats are the ones that can only be calculated on a slide rule.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In a not-at-all related story, baseball-reference.com is now publishing Negro League stats:

http://www.sports-reference.com/blog/2012/03/negro-league-stats-1903-1948/

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They're getting better rounded. Nothing wrong with branching out from exclusive wonkery.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I've found just the opposite to be true. Once I ceased to be a snarky twenty-something, I don't relate to BP all that well anymore.

Have you ever listened to the BP podcast? More smug douchiness you'll not find anywhere in the audio universe ...

5. Herbert Anchovy

Never heard the podcast. Have to check that out. I know a guy who happens to be a smug fuck who got a freelance gig with them. His style of writing and analysis is as far from Keri and Jazayerli as you can get. They're looking for different voices. They already have the heavy thinkers.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They should stick with what they do well. There's plenty of places on the web where I can find light-on-thinking, heavy-on-writing baseball crap. If I wanted that, I wouldn't be on BP.

I kinda, sorta like the Podcast, as long as I tune out the non-baseball stuff.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Depends on what you want.

FanGraphs essays seem to be getting better. Not just data dumps.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My favorite part is Dick said "I'll leave it up for a while and check back" and then before most people even get to work, he answers in the first reply. :D

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That's so dick.

Draft saved Draft deleted