1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who ordered the execution of Pat Tillman?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That sounds a lot more logical than some of the other suggestions...

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

[blue]They hate America. They got everything they deserved.[/blue]

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He wasn't happy with the current manuscript, and pulled it from the publisher.

It's tinfoil hat territory to believe the Feds ordered a hit on him. There were too many people involved in the mission, guys who really liked Tillman, for it to be believable.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So Tillman signing up wasn't a big story?
    You can't have it both ways.
    If him going wasn't a big deal, then him coming back wouldn't be either.
    But if going was a big thing, then coming back against would have been also been big.
    If he hadn't died, the headline on his return would have been...
    War hero calls President a 'criminal'

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Tillman signing up was a huge story.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just to play devil's advocate, those other GIs who come back with anti-war rhetoric didn't have the sendoff Tillman did, who became a hero the moment the left the NFL to sign up for the military. Tillman's story drew that much more attention than the typical GI, so if he wanted to speak out against the war when he came back, it would have been much easier for him to do so on a national stage.

While other GIs would get the message out to local newspapers, Tillman could speak to anyone from CNN to ESPN.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Jay, I really think if the government wants somebody killed, they do it more neatly than this, with far fewer loose ends ... unless Cheney ends up doing the shooting himself.
    It seems likely to me that the shooters panicked, killed their friend, then clumsily tried to queer the evidence by firing more shots, burning clothes, etc., hoping to come up with some sort of battle story that would wash. Although, obviously, the fragging possibility can't be ignored.
    As for Tillman being against the war and this being damaging, I don't get it. Tillman was serving in Afghanistan, not Iraq. Even Democrats like myself believe we DO belgng in Afghanistan, we should be chasing terrorists there. I can't imagine anything he could have said that would have had a great deal of resonance, especially back then. Other than, maybe, "we have no intel and we're just running around chasing our own tail," which seems to be how he died. Still, not like he was serving in Iraq.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That's what I'm saying. I have no doubt it was a king-shit fuck-up from start to finish: the friendly fire and the way the Army handled it afterwards. But don't you think they would have wanted Pat Tillman to serve a tour of duty, then parade him around? Not that he would have done it.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

This just in:

From: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-tillman15-2008jul15,0,246216.story

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't say this often, but Hondo is making sense.
    Savor the moment, my friend.

11. I think fragging and friendly fire are the only two legitimate suggestions. Anyone suggesting otherwise is delusional.

As skeptical as I am, I don't see the U.S. government conspiring to kill him. He was their poster child, that's why they mishandled his death so badly. They hoped they could sweep whatever happened under the rug to save themselves the embarrassment of something that was, at best, a senseless accident, and at worst, murder.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Whether the order came from on high or at the platoon level, it doesn't matter.
    Someone with a higher rank told someone with a lower rank to put bullets in Pat Tillman's brain and kill him.
    I don't think that's tinfoil hat land.
    Why the crazy theories are springing up is because the government has covered up and continues to cover up details. Tillman's diary still hasn't been released to his family, assuming that it still exists.

Draft saved Draft deleted