1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who ordered the execution of Pat Tillman?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jul 15, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Serious commentary from the most unlikely of places — Wonkette
    http://wonkette.com/284472/who-ordered-the-execution-of-nflarmy-hero-pat-tillman

Two things, I can't wait for Jon Krakauer's book and I would like to see anyone, anyone offer even the remotest defense of what happened.
    By all appearances, it looks like the Army had Tillman killed, which is exactly what his mother has been saying all along.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Why in the world would the Army "execute" what was one of their best public-relations situations -- having an NFL star serving in combat?

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That's the question raised by the investigation.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Perhaps it was someone who didn't agree with his beliefs on religion.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I find it hard to believe that the Army had someone executed.

I do find it more plausable that those who did so were so delusional that they had no idea what they were doing. That, to me, is the much bigger issue.

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I can't believe the Army had him killed, but I would really love to here a coherent explanation of what happened from the people who killed him. At best, it seems they totally panicked, and at worst, something really hinky happened out there -- not on orders from on high, I would think, but among that group of soldiers.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Dudes, he was shot in the forehead, three times, from 10 yards or closer.
    This was after he was already shot.
    This isn't paranoia land. Tillman was murdered by members of the US Army.
    One theory is that they shot him by accident, and then in a panic, they killed him and destroyed the evidence. But that's still murder, it wasn't a friendly fire accident.
    But another theory is that they knew what they were doing because the best PR situation they could have was about to become a disaster. Tillman was going home and was going to speak out against the war.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Until I hear solid proof otherwise, I still think it was friendly fire.
    The way the Army handled it after the fact was a disgrace, however.
    I'm still amazed the Tillman family hasn't gotten the Cindy Sheehan/Jersey Girls treatment.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Tillman was the poster boy for the military. His death played a very large role in people becoming very anti-war.

I would like to know any logical reason why the Army would have him executed.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Here's my question: How old is this blog? The links under it are from 2007.

I mean, is this news in any way?

11. It's on this board, so it must be true.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It's almost a year old, according to the date stamp at the bottom of the page.

Draft saved Draft deleted