1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who needs newspaper reporters when you've got ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BRoth, May 11, 2009.

1. BRoth

BRoth Member

think tank reporters!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103987017&ft=1&f=1001

Newspapers across the country continue to lay off journalists and columnists, and investigative reporting is rapidly becoming a thing of the past for many media outlets. Now an unexpected player — the Goldwater Institute, a conservative think tank — is looking to fill the void.

It's just a three minute NPR report, if you're interested in listening. The report says that the institute is only hiring one reporter for now, but I'm curious to see where this might go if it succeeds. Obviously lobbyist groups and think tanks have PR people, but would they go as far as hiring actual reporters to do reporting work without simply benefiting their cause? I don't know about that one.

2. They won't.
    Welcome to the world of propaganda.
    Luckily there will be citizen journalists on BLOGS! working for free who will defeat this menace.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think, therefore I'm tanked.

4. BRoth

BRoth Member

Agreed that this seems a little weird. But could this set a very small precedent?

5. Actually, I think it's setting a large precedent.

Draft saved Draft deleted