1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the worst president in history?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JakeandElwood, Aug 7, 2008.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Let me start by saying that I would love for this to be a historical - not political - discussion. That means anyone after the Berlin Wall came down is exempt because we simply don't have the historical context necessary to judge their actions.

That being said, my pick is James Buchanan. The man was president before the Civil War and did nothing - nothing! - to try to fix what was obviously a huge problem. He was a horrible waste of space who dealt with nothing and contributed nothing.

Herbert Hoover also comes to mind. His horrible management of the economy - especially the addition of more tariffs only deepened the Great Depression. Anytime the homeless name their makeshift homes after you know, it's not a good sign.

2. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Ask me again in 20 years.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Good luck with that.

EDIT: See.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. At least I tried. I'm a history geek so I'd love to get a discussion going without it devolving into Bush (or Clinton) bashing, but I figured it would probably happen.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

You'll get a couple of legitimate responses from other history buffs. I'm not enough of a presidential follower to really make an educated guess.

6. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Jimmy Carter, as the Simpsons will tell you, was history's greatest monster.

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I'd agree with Buchanan. But I think Carter was worse. And I think he is an excellent human being who has done great things since he left office, but was still a bad president.

If you wanna ask another way, I think JFK is the most overrated (not the worst, but the most overrated)

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Andrew Johnson, Grant, Harding, Buchanan and Pierce are always in the discussion.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Andrew Johnson, Buchanan, Grant, Hoover, Harding, Coolidge, Fillmore, Pierce...are all up there.

10. dargan

dargan Active Member

Andrew Johnson, US Grant, James Buchanan --- all worthy picks for presidents of sucktitude.

11. dargan

dargan Active Member

JandE, like you said, Buchanan did NOTHING to prevent the Civil War. He just wanted out of office so somebody else could deal with what was about to happen.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Yeah, I think Johnson probably takes the cake for highest level of sucktitude.

Draft saved Draft deleted