1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Is the Real Black Swan (Portman Did 5% of the Dancing?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Mar 28, 2011.

1. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Someone should cut you.

2. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Mila Kunis defends Natalie Portman
    Tuesday, March 29 2011, 4:44pm EDT
    By Mike Moody, Entertainment Reporter Mila Kunis has defended her Black Swan co-star Natalie Portman against recent allegations tied to the film.

Dancer Sarah Lane, Portman's dancing double for the film, recently suggested that Portman only did around five percent of the full-body shots included in the final movie.

Lane claimed that she herself performed all of the pirouettes, the full-body dancing shots and the leg shots for the Oscar-winning film.

Kunis has now spoken out on behalf of Portman, saying that "Natalie danced her ass off" for Black Swan.

"I think it's unfortunate that this is coming out and taking attention away from [the praise] Natalie deserved and got," Kunis said, according to Popeater.

She added: "[Lane] wasn't used for everything. It was more like a safety net. If Nat wasn't able to do something, you'd have a safety net. The same thing that I had - I had a double as a safety net. We all did. No-one ever denied it."

http://www.digitalspy.com/celebrity/news/a311775/mila-kunis-defends-natalie-portman.html

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

i haven't felt this dismayed over a dancing-double deception since the great jennifer beals/'flashdance' controversy....

what a buchacrap out of the 'whogivesaratsbutt?' book. hey, listen up, tabloidnation: am i supposed to care whether natalie did 5, 10,, 20, 40, 80 or 100 percent of the dancing in the role that earned her an OSCAR for ACTING? i don't think so. wake me up when another ACTRESS claims she, not natalie, recited 95 percent of her lines.

cripes... jane fonda won a well-deserved oscar playing a prostitute in 'klute;' if it had been revealed later her bedroom scenes were performed by a pro, why would/should it matter to me?

sounds to me like everyone conspired to get this "story" out there in time to boost dvd sales, so filmfreaks can slow it down and carefully dissect it, frame by frame, to get to the bottom of 'swangate.'

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, although it is an acting award and I think Portman was deserving, they did make a very big deal, as part of the marketing for the film and her performance, about the rigorous preparation and training she ednured because she was dancing the part.
    It was part of the marketing and her award push. I think that makes it fair game for criticism.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They also made it clear there was a double for the difficult bits.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Understood, and I think she was deserving of the award even if she only appeared in 5 percent of the dance scenes.
    However, if you play up her dancing the way they did, you open yourself to criticism if it turns out you were misrepresenting the amount of dancing she did.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

We know there wasn't a stunt cock involved

Draft saved Draft deleted