1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the most underrated player in baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Overrated, Jun 9, 2008.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Ah, part of that once great manly Brewers outfield of Candy, Robin and Dante.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Corey Patterson's defense is very, very good. His problem is, he still has to hold a bat 3 or 4 times a night.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

He's not your ordinary Anderson... He's a Curtis Granderson.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

This may just be my Boston bias, but Papelbon doesn't get much of the publicity he deserves. The kid is likely going to have his third straight 30+ save season.

5. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

Who is the Pabelbon guy you speak of?
    Never heard of him.
    If only ESPN put the Red Sox (I take it that's who he plays for) on TV more, we could get some sort of appreciation for his talent.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Nicely done, I have to agree that Joey Gathright is pretty underrated

7. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

That was soooooooo funny. God, keep them "coming."

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Or maybe since Jose Reyes went 19 HR, 81 RBI, 64 SB in 2006

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I assume you meant Papelbon.

Papelbon is better, because he's done it a few years.

This year, Soria might be the best closer in the AL, if not all of baseball.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Rivera: 0.90 ERA, 17-for-17 in saves, 30 IP, 30 K, 2 BB, 14 H, 0.533 WHIP.
    Papelbon: 1.84 ERA, 19-for-21 in saves, 30.3 IP, 36 K, 3 BB, 23 H, 0.85 WHIP.
    Soria: 1.61 ERA, 14-for-15 in saves, 28 IP, 29 K, 9 BB, 17 H, 0.928 WHIP.

Does anyone really want to argue Rivera isn't the best of those three?

Oh, and the most underrated player in baseball is Brandon Webb. Won the Cy Young two years ago, finished second last year and could be in line for another this year, yet you barely hear about him being one of the best in baseball.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Most underrated player in baseball?

Carlos Lee just hit yet another homer against the Cubs. He now has 27 HRs and 95 RBI. But even the teams he plays on don't seem to appreciate the guy. He's going to have 30-plus homers for the sixth-straight season, but he's played on four teams since 2003. He just puts up consistently strong numbers completely under the radar. He couldn't even win the fan vote for this year's All-Star game. Instead, Corey Hart wins it. Corey Hart? Please. With the exception of his rookie year, Lee has never hit less than 24 HRs or driven in less than 80. In the last three seasons, he has 113, 116 and 119 RBI. This season, he's on pace to supass his career highs in HRs (37) and RBI (119), but nobody seems to pay attenton to the guy. To me, he's MLB's most underrrated. Anybody else deserve a mention?

Draft saved Draft deleted